Keytar Qs! Selling, Modding etc

Reaction score
Some keytar questions. Answers appreciated :) answer which ones/ how ever many you please...

OK firstly, does anyone have a keytar... think Roland AX1, AX7; Korg RK 100; Lag le-key etc.. that they would be persuaded to sell :D

Secondly, does anyone know of anyone who erm.. makes custom-made midi controllers/ keytars? I think Jordan Rudess uses/ used several of a brand whom I've forgotten.. but I seem to recall them being priced at around US$5000 or something shocking :eek:.. yeah.. any help?

Thirdly, Does anyone know of anyone who will modify keyboards/ midi controllers.. ie.. turn a keyboard into a keytar?

Aaaand, finally.. has anyone thought about, or actually succeeded grabbing a Midi controller, and modifying it into a keytar? :D Yeah I figured you just need some strap pins.. and ermm.. some sort of handle.. voila! :D It means I can use a 61+ key controller if I wanted, rather than the limited ranges of existing keytars. Dunno what the best way to attach a handle and what sort of handle would be best to use though.. and I suppose I'd look like a TOTAL douche (rather than just a mildly douchy douche). Yeah! Any Thoughts/ opinions/ comments on that? :D

Cheers once again!

Reaction score
Haha yeah, I've thought of doing the same thing, modding a midi controller into a carryable instrument. No one really makes keytars anymore, am I right?

And I've figured something out. Keytars have such a geeky reputation that they have a potential to be just ****ing badass. Not many people play keytars, so If you went about it carefully, you could destroy with it. If not, you would look like a total douche. I believe the keyboardist for sonata arctica had one for awhile and smashed it on stage once. This is an example of being completely badass with a keytar. They are like 400 bux though at cheapest so yeah :)

Reaction score
Haha oh geez, I wasn't intending on smashing it up :p that dude used a Roland AX7, and they're selling for like $1200 US and more on ebay right now...

Yeah.. behringer are currently producing, or are about to release, a 2 octave strap-on midi controller... not quite a keytar. That's it... I can't believe there aren't any in production.. keytars are basically appreciating in value almost! So much opportunity for new keytars... ah well.

Reaction score
Oh wow 1200 bux, I didn't know they were that much. Why does no one make them? I guess we are stuck with in-place instruments for now.

Reaction score
Roland was the last manufacturer of keytars, and they discontinued the AX7 earlier this year. Which sucks. I really want one.

Regarding modification *grin*, I added two strap points and an extended guitar strap to my crap casio keyboard. Didn't work as well as I planned, playing one hand is fine, but both are a trouble. Either way, was fun while it was novel.

Shouldn't be too hard to make decent modifications to a small controller in my opinion. I don't think you will look like a douche if you actually put some effort in no to look like one. Either way, like my friend always says, powermetal is like pizza, the more cheese the better.

Reaction score
I don't think you will look like a douche if you actually put some effort in no to look like one. Either way, like my friend always says, powermetal is like pizza, the more cheese the better.

Haha good advice Letsel ;)

Reaction score
Haha seriously. Thats rad though, I wanna see how it turns out if you make a nice one actually. I'm gonna hit up guitar center in a few days, so ill check out the midi controllers and see if its actually worth doing. I think if i put a lot of time into it I could make a rad looking one, but I don't really have a shop right now to do any real legit work. Its a cool idea though. I bet I could even detach the mod wheel and wire it down on the end of the left hand side.

Reaction score
Oh man I WISH I could detach the mod wheel and wire it down the handle and that that sorta thing, I have no expertise with that whatsoever :(

And yeah it's not going to happen yet, until I actually think up a decent way to turn a midi controller into a keytar! Until then, I'm still desperately lurking on ebay :p

Only today I've been thinking I could buy some bits of word from a hardware store, and basically make a frame around it, I could have two long pieces running the whole, length, with one serving as the designated handle.. hmmmmm.

Oh well. Regardless, Skot, if you get any good ideas, or actually start doing anything like that, please tell me! I need the inspiration :D I would liek to see how someone else with more experience would approach this!

Until then, if anyone else has any ideas, please share! Oh and, of course, anyone with keytars, I may be willing to buy them :D

Ask a Question