KN6500 Questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m Pete. I have a question that I can’t find the answer to on another forum and another question that’s a request. I’ll ask the simplest question first: does anyone have access to the owner’s manual floppy disks that came with the instrument at purchase? If so, would you share it with me? I‘d be happy to compensate you doing so. Secondly, I read somewhere of the feature that allows the user to play sounds on the optional wave expansion boards without having the boards installed. How is that done? I can’t find the info again. Thanks
Pete

Reaction score
My answer to the first question sorry but no.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone with the expansion boards had managed to download and save them for others to obtain...but that memory was from a long time ago..

Reaction score
My answer to the first question sorry but no.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone with the expansion boards had managed to download and save them for others to obtain...but that memory was from a long time ago..
Thanks RMepstead. That’s what I thought. Do you remember where the info is found? Thx!
Pete

Reaction score
Hi Pete
You can find the INITIAL disk and the STYLE convert disk on

www.keyboarder-forum.de

look in kategorie KN6500
I don't believe in the possibity of recording if nothing is installed.
success
mriske
mris,
What do you mean by “I don't believe in the possibity of recording if nothing is installed”? I don’t understand.‍♂️

Pete

Reaction score
'Hi pete
I meant playing sounds on the optional wave expansion boards WITHOUT having the boards installed.
Before using or playing the sounds you have to install fe an SY-EW04NX (only for the kn6000) and do an upgrade on the kb with a special disk. ( I dont believe in the possibility of playing sounds if they are not installed.)
mris

Reaction score
'Hi pete
I meant playing sounds on the optional wave expansion boards WITHOUT having the boards installed.
Before using or playing the sounds you have to install fe an SY-EW04NX (only for the kn6000) and do an upgrade on the kb with a special disk. ( I dont believe in the possibility of playing sounds if they are not installed.)
mris
Thx mris! I have a KN 6500. So none of the above applies to me right? ‍
Thx mris!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Pete and Rmepstead
As far as I know one of the differences between the kn6000 and the kn6500 was the provision of a wave expansion slot.
So for the KN6500 a SY-EW02NX and a EW65 NX can be placed.( and used after upgrading)
I downloaded some files from the technics kn7000styles and tried them on a kn6000 , but got an error" not made for this item)
Maybe you have more luck. I think they were made by an KN7000 even on KN5000 level but the item numbers are different.
I will thank RMepstead for freely using his files and meanwhile I stay searching
mris

Reaction score
Hi Pete and Rmepstead
As far as I know one of the differences between the kn6000 and the kn6500 was the provision of a wave expansion slot.
So for the KN6500 a SY-EW02NX and a EW65 NX can be placed.( and used after upgrading)
I downloaded some files from the technics kn7000styles and tried them on a kn6000 , but got an error" not made for this item)
Maybe you have more luck. I think they were made by an KN7000 even on KN5000 level but the item numbers are different.
I will thank RMepstead for freely using his files and meanwhile I stay searching
mris
mris,
I think the EW65 NX upgrades the 6000. So the 6500 doesn’t need the EW65 NX, right?

Reaction score
Hi Pete
Ok pete that is right.
Overview : wave expansion boards in a nutshell
The KN6000 and the KN6500 have 2 expansion slots inside.
The KN7000 has 4 slots.
The KN6000 + SY-EW65 = KN6500
The KN6000 needs to upgrade the instruments operating software.
The KN6500 no need to upgrade.
About the boards:
EW01: pop production sounds
EW02 : movie production and soundtracks
EW03 : vintage keyboard sound (246)
ESo4 : super sound(186) More for jazz and rock
Hope this will things clear up
mris

Reaction score
Hi Pete
Ok pete that is right.
Overview : wave expansion boards in a nutshell
The KN6000 and the KN6500 have 2 expansion slots inside.
The KN7000 has 4 slots.
The KN6000 + SY-EW65 = KN6500
The KN6000 needs to upgrade the instruments operating software.
The KN6500 no need to upgrade.
About the boards:
EW01: pop production sounds
EW02 : movie production and soundtracks
EW03 : vintage keyboard sound (246)
ESo4 : super sound(186) More for jazz and rock
Hope this will things clear up
mris
Great summary mris! Thank you. I’ve downloaded all sounds available! Now to load on my keyboard. Thanks again RMepstead!

Reaction score
Basically I have software (EMC Styleworks XT) which enables me to convert Yamaha, Korg, Roland, and Solton style files to Technics style files. The majority of the times they are great but just occasionally not so good. I get the other makes styles from www.createsongstyles.com where there are thousands of song specific styles. Lockdown during Covid gave me the chance to do quite a bit of converting work...

Reaction score
Hi Roger
In an replay (may 25 in KN6500 question) we my use the files at KN5000 level
(technicskeyboard.com ) I downloaded a file but in my kb KN600 i got an error, even loading the CMP info gave an error
"not for this item" think it is a different ID number.
I was wondering if these files were converted with one of the programs mentioned in your last message or made by your kb .
Normally a kn 6000 can read the files made for a'kn5000 but it'seems not always. (KN5000 level is not KN5000 ID so what do you mean by KN5000level
Sometimes it's easy to use a style as basic but every song has its own style. (my humble opinion)
Thanks for using your files, it was helpful for kb comparison.
stay save
mris

Reaction score
Hi Mris
The majority of the style files on my web site were converted for KN5000 and later but just one or two may be KN7000. The software I use to make those conversions from other manufacturers styles does not distinguish between KN5000 and KN5000 ID.
So please remind me which song you were after and I will have another go at it.
Roger M

Reaction score
Hi Mris
The majority of the style files on my web site were converted for KN5000 and later but just one or two may be KN7000. The software I use to make those conversions from other manufacturers styles does not distinguish between KN5000 and KN5000 ID.
So please remind me which song you were after and I will have another go at it.
Roger M
Hi Roger
i REDOWNLOADED collection 1.zip
After unzip the files were transferred to a floppy disk and after loading in my kb the preview showed me all the songs on the disk.
( for ex: Donne La mer Skyfall and so on.
Loading the individual songs gave me the error 00
Text on the keyboard: The data on disk that you are using is for a different product. ( different ID number in sysex)
I found a chart for software compatibility in Technics KN7000.com where was mentioned that the custom data from a KN5000
can not be loaded in a KN6000 Maybe this explains all.
Thanks again for your quick response, maybe this info is useful for your conversions.
For me I just wanted to know what the problem was for not working in the kn6000.
stay safe
mris

Reaction score
Hi Mris - Custom Data is a different thing in Technics keyboards.
I'll have a look again at that collection and convert it again to KN5000 and we'll see what happens - interesting challenge is this...
Rog

Ask a Question