Knowledge on buying a synth from Japan/ power supply issues?

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking at buying a synth from Japan and I'm in the US.
Japan uses 100v power and US has 120v
The plugs are the same, but assume I'll need to get a different power supply.

If I buy a 120v power supply that is correct for the synth in all other ways,
12v output and 700 ma, is that the right way to go??

Hope to get a clear answer, not "probably" or "should".
I've not bought the synth yet, and want to make sure I'm clear about what
I need to do if I do buy it.
Thank you!

Reaction score
If I were doing something like this - I would look to discuss with the manufacturer (or authorised representative) locally and then order the correct power supply as recommended. I'm assuming the synth has an external PSU.

Reaction score
they make power supplies that are universal. Your phone charger is probably a good example, it should support a range of 100 to 240V. You may need an adapter for the plug configuration, that is one piece, the other is the voltage. If your power supply supports the universal range then the only remaining issues are the output milliamps and the whether there is a positive/negative tip situation (if the insert of the plug going into the keyboard is circular tip). If it is a "d plug" link then this is one less thing to be concerned about.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I bought a used Roland Soundcanvas from Japan on Ebay a year or two ago.

It shipped with a universal type adapter and a North American style plug.

I'm in Canada. Same system as the US. Japan uses the North American style plug as well.

Result was plug and play compatibility.

Worst case scenario if you don't trust the adapter that ships with your synth you can always pick up a compatible power supply from Amazon later on.

Just look at the connector on the back of the board. Measure the inside diameters of the coaxial plug, check the polarity, check the voltage and amperage of the unit and just to be sure, make certain that the power supply you use is a regulated unit.

If everything checks out there should be no issues with aftermarket supplies.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question