Korg CX3 starting to act up

Reaction score
I have a Korg CX3 Which I bought knew quite a while ago. Unfortunately it is now starting to act up. Sometimes during a performance all of the indicator lights will go off except for the main display. And occasionally it won’t even allow me to change the settings and I have to do what I call a hard reboot which is to literally unplug it and plug it in again. I’d really love to get it fixed but I’m not really sure where I can get that done. Do you think I should get it fixed or simply buy something more current? I would really appreciate your input thank you. Pat

Reaction score
First thoughts that possibly a loose connector block is causing the system to partial shutdown and lock.

You will need to open up the keyboard, unplug all connectors in sewuence and reseat them.

If any signs of corrosion or dirt build up shows then a squirt of contact cleaner will help.

Reaction score
Is this a job that an electronics rookie could tackle or should I bring it to a qualified technician?

Pat

Reaction score
If you do not have the skillset then a pro tech is the way.

Do assess the likely repair costs since if it becomes excessive you may be better seeking a second user item.

Reaction score
So I got the bad news today. My motherboard is going bad and as you might guess, these aren’t made anymore. Looks like farewell CX3.

Thanks for the feedback.
Pat

Reaction score
Hi Biggles,
I’m considering the Hammond XK-5.
It’s a bit pricey but Musicians Friend offers 24 month no-interest loan. Though I just saw Sweetwater has 48 months at $77/month. Even better.

What would you go with?
Pat

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is one sweet set of keys with great reviews.

I am lucky to have a lot if Music Stores close by where I live but have not played one, the only organ I have looked at and played is the newish Vox Continental but at its price point it is in a different class to the XK 5

Only one thing for me is the £3,200 price tag and currently I am baulking at selling my two keyboards and buying a Korg PA4X which has Drawbar and Leslie emulations onboard but at least the 4X has physical sliders that are programmed as Drawbars and the joystick operates the rotary effect.

There is the Nord C2D that may be worth considering, it to gets great reviews and here in the UK is £1000 cheaper than the Hammond.

If I was after an organ and had the cash I would go for the XK 5.

Your @ $77 a month is probably manageable as long as the interest rate is acceptable otherwise the zero percent MF loan if manageable is the one.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Well, knock on wood. After the tech. reseated all the connections and cleaned them as well, I've not had one single glitch. Gigged 6 times before COVID-19 put us on hold.
Thank you for the feedback and please stay safe.
Pat

Reaction score
After all that I'm considering getting another set of keys that can do great B3 and strings and horns. I'm finding that more of the songs we are doing require me to play piano at the same time as strings or horns. I'd prefer not to do split-keyboard on the S90-ES and the piano samples are amazing.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Pat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Whilst imo Yamaha piano sounds are very good throughout their model range, I am not a fan of their strings and horn sounds.

Almost as good is Roland piano sounds so do consider both a Juno DS and an FA. I have played both especially the FA 07 which has semi weighted keys and hence may provide a good compromise in keybed feel.

A new Roland is the RD88 digital piano which has great sounds at least according to the reviews.

Ask a Question