Korg Kontrol 49 / TR Rack programming question

Reaction score
I'm new to MIDI controllers, and I know the answer to my question is buried somewhere in the manuals; but I'm asking it anyway, in hopes that it is a simple answer.

I don't have any issues getting the sliders/rotary encoders to do what I want with the FX, and have managed to get the Main Encoder to change programs (and the SW1/SW2 to increment/decrement the selected program); BUT I haven't figured out how to get the Bank Change incorporated into either one of those. What I would like to do is to program the pads to do the bank change, and ideally to go to a specific bank and patch combination. If I could get the bank to change WITH the Main Encoder and the SW1/SW2 encoders that would be good as well (ie. incrementing from Bank A Prog 127 would go to Bank B Prog 00).

How do I do that?

TIA...
icon_wink.gif

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't give you an exact answer Ron, but I do know that it should be doable. When I use Cakewalk or Rosegarden with my TR76 I can access any program in any bank from the software. The only thing I cannot do is switch from program to combi mode or vice versa.

I believe bank switching requires an extra couple of MIDI commands in the patch select string, like cc#0 msb lsb or something like that.

Basically the cc#0 is the controller bank select mode and the msb is the bank number and the lsb is the patch number or again vice versa.

Anyway, I've never really screwed around with hardware to get this working for me, but with software, with a proper INS file, it's always pretty much just worked for me.

Try googling "MIDI bank select" or something like that and maybe you'll get lucky...

Gary

Reaction score
I'll check those links, thanks Gary. I don't have any problems accessing any bank/patch combination from the DAW; but I want to do it from the MIDI controller (and it must be possible). :)

Reaction score
Okay, so it's clear that changing banks using MIDI commands is a multi-message thing (which totally sucks; but...), but should it not be possible to press a single pad on the controller to execute a bank change/program change combination? CC#'s, perhaps? I'm just not sure how to construct that kind of thing using the Kontrol 49 editor. I know that bank change involves controllers #00 and #32 (both set to '0'), and the TR Rack uses only the LSB (0-3 for the four banks); but how do I construct a CC# message for this?

:cool:

Reaction score
Thanks again Gary (for doing my work for me ;) ). I've got the bank changes covered at the moment, and can find what I need from there. I'll poke around after I finish the 'Zen Jazz' piece I'm workin' on.

:cool:

Ask a Question