Korg Kronos 2 88 or Korg Nautilus

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm considering buying a high-end workstation that I most likely won't change for a long time. I'm not a super expert but planning to learn as much as possibile in the upcoming months/years ;). I'd like to have a versatile instrument that can both replicate an acceptable piano experience, esp the keyboard mechanic, and work as a full scale synth to work with sounds.

I've considered the classic Roland Fantom 8, Yamaha montage and at the end, considering the best trade off between price / functions I landed at the korg kronos 2 88.

I know that on february the new Korg Nautilus will be out and it should not be expected to push the kronos out of the market as it is not comparable but slightly below. I also prefer to invest all these money on a platform that has already many years and it's stable and overall well considered.

It that correct? Any suggestion?

Than-you in advace for anyone who will help me in this decision

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have pretty much decided on the Kronos, and they are a great keyboard. I would only suggest that perhaps you should consider delaying a purchase until you check out the new Nautilus ? I did a bit of reading about the new board and it sounds like revamped Kronos at a lower price point. I like that the Nautilus has onboard HD recording and on board SSD. I'm always cautious about what cost cuts may have been made to get a "reinvented" product to a lower price point. But in that price range the new board should be darn good. Best of luck on your purchase. Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Curious as to why that you are Korg focused. The Kurzweil PC4 is a high end do it all keyboard and it is new. Also from a price perspective it probably is a bargain as well.

I have the PC3 model (model previous to the PC4) and it is the main arsenal of my rig. I've owned it for nearly 10 years and as a high end do it all keyboard that still sounds fabulous. Also the PC3 and 4 series are probably the best MIDI controllers available. Any controller on the keyboard can pretty much be mapped to control any CC#. Point is that the keyboard never goes stale. Also, unlike the others, their technical support is world class.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome.

Which Country are you based in?

It makes a difference as Korg support varies and where the first keyboards are actually in the Music Stores does seem to vary with support.

Whilst Delaware Dave recommends you consider Kursweil here in the UK they are very few and far between so if you do follow up on this do check thoroughly in your Country the support and availability.

Here in the UK, Korg has great sales staff and accessible support and I would expect new models to be in showrooms here very quickly.

Reaction score
So far, I don't see any reason to get a Nautilus over a Kronos except for it being cheaper. If the budget supports it, Kronos is a similar but more capable board. That said, I don't happen to like the action. But that's subjective, and if you played and liked it, that's what matters.

Reaction score
I don´t want to split hairs but I have tested both, the Nautilus and the Kronos. But you will not get a much better hardware with the Kronos 2 and additionally you are paying clearly about 500 bugs more. The Kronos has aftertouch and the Karma engine. Almost all other features are identical. The screen of the Nautilus is a little bigger and the overall handling has been made a little bit more comfortable in means of easiness and has an arpeggiater which is really worthwhile to be tested. In the end its a question what a keyboarder or a studio musician needs but you will not make any mistake if you decide to buy the Nautilus 88 key version. Although, only the 88 key version has keys with hammer action.

Reaction score
The screen of the Nautilus is a little bigger

No, the Nautilus has a smaller screen. 7" (with 800 x 480 resolution), whereas the Kronos is 8" (800 x 600).

And you didn't mention the difference in all those knobs and sliders. If you're using it, for example, as a 9-drawbar clonewheel organ, or as a MIDI controller where you want lots of instant control over multiple internal and external zones, or if you want simultaneous control of lots of synth paramters, etc., then you can miss those controls.

Reaction score
Here in the UK, 61 key version:-

Kronos £2400

Nautilus £1860

Krome £800

Kross 2 £560

Already the Nautilus has come down in price since its release but there is still quite a difference in cost between the top two models.

The lack of sliders on the Nautilus would be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market to buy a workstation, I would certainly go for the Kronos.

Reaction score
No, the Nautilus has a smaller screen. 7" (with 800 x 480 resolution), whereas the Kronos is 8" (800 x 600).

And you didn't mention the difference in all those knobs and sliders. If you're using it, for example, as a 9-drawbar clonewheel organ, or as a MIDI controller where you want lots of instant control over multiple internal and external zones, or if you want simultaneous control of lots of synth paramters, etc., then you can miss those controls.

Hi,

Yes, I wanted actually say that the Kronos has a little bit bigger screen and accidently wrote Nautilus. As I mentioned in my post, it depends what you are doing with your work station. Most of the features you'll find in the Kronos you'll find also in the Nautilus. As a keyboarder and life performer I would barely miss a single thing of controller function using the Nautilus. Actually it suits a little better for the stage putting in beforehand every sound in chain with a great arpeggiater you dont even have with the Kronos. Sampling is as easy/bad with the Nautilus as it is with Kronos. I personally use a separate sampler with softer, analog filters.

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been researching which workstation would be best for my needs..gotta have a sequencer that plays whole songs that I've programed.. preferably with audio input as well...not just a sampler...and not break the bank if you know what I mean..I think the Korg nautilus might be best ...am I right????

Reaction score
I just received my Nautilus 88 yesterday. Funny thing, it was double-boxed but the inner box was badly damaged on one side whereas the outer box was fine? I bring up that point as when I played it I noticed the keybed seems quite noisy? if that's normal on the Nautilus them Im fine with it but I would like to know if anyone else noticed the same.

Its been a long while since I had the Kronos so I can remember... I am coming from a Kawai MP11se so I know that is much quieter.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hopefully you took photos the second you noticed the damaged container.

If you think it's unnaturally noisy then you shouldn't hesitate a minute in sending it back.

The dealer either damaged it themselves or it arrived at their warehouse in that condition and they decided to take a chance and dump it on you.

Either way, a ding or a tear on a shipping box is no big deal but a damaged factory box is a HUGE RED FLAG....

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hopefully you took photos the second you noticed the damaged container.

If you think it's unnaturally noisy then you shouldn't hesitate a minute in sending it back.

The dealer either damaged it themselves or it arrived at their warehouse in that condition and they decided to take a chance and dump it on you.

Either way, a ding or a tear on a shipping box is no big deal but a damaged factory box is a HUGE RED FLAG....

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary,

Yes, I did take a photo. On reflection, I think everything is fine. The sound is constant throughout the key bed and just sounds like the mechanism. The keyboard itself has no marks on it at all. I bought it from Sweetwater and it looks like they are now out of stock so that does make me query it it little.

I am going to set it all up later today so I will double-check that everything is working as it should.

I don't know whether the company (seller) puts on the outer box or Korg itself.

Reaction score
Hooked up my Korg Nautilus 88 last night and with the Focal Shape 65's I bought even though they have not been broken in yet... just phenomenal! some incredible sounds so all in all I am very happy.

Just one thing. I mentioned before that the inner box of the board was damaged. Now, there are no blemishes at all on the board the only thing I noticed last night is when I play one of the black notes (Db) it sounds not necessarily louder but boomy?... it's like the bass is turned up and muffled. I only noticed it on the piano sounds.

Just wanted to make sure this was not due to damage. I have spoken to Sweetwater and they are more than happy to send a new board it's just a bit of a job repacking a large keyboard and returning it.

I will try it again tonight and see what happens. It might even be the monitors not being broken in?

Reaction score
Thank you b3maniac, I did that and it sounds the same. I spoke to Sweetwater today and they have already shipped me another board out. I have used them for years and I must say their customer service is second to none.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have pretty much decided on the Kronos, and they are a great keyboard. I would only suggest that perhaps you should consider delaying a purchase until you check out the new Nautilus ? I did a bit of reading about the new board and it sounds like revamped Kronos at a lower price point. I like that the Nautilus has onboard HD recording and on board SSD. I'm always cautious about what cost cuts may have been made to get a "reinvented" product to a lower price point. But in that price range the new board should be darn good. Best of luck on your purchase. Don aka B3maniac

Ask a Question