Korg Kronos 88 - Issues with Keys not working??

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, and I'm seeking help if that is ok - I am at a total loss now

The basic issue is this – my Korg Kronos 88 keyboard was working fine, we used it every day in a studio throughout the pandemic, and then it was not played for a month. When we turned it back on, all booted up as normal, but when we went to play it some of the notes were not working, and some of the notes were playing double or triple notes. There is no pattern to what works or not, eg it is not every other note, nor the same notes not working in each octave.

I contacted Korg who were no help. I then researched online, did a factory reset, and even found a video tutorial which spoke about the contact strips on some Korg’s developing a fault. To test this theory, I moved the short contact strips around inside the keyboard to see if the issue moved to different keys with the faulty(?) strips, but with many combinations of moving these strips around, the same notes didn’t work. So, I felt this was not a hardware issue and may be more of a software issue?

I again researched known issues, and while some folk have missing notes due to midi settings, none seem to have the issue I am having with multiple notes being triggered by one key and other keys not doing anything at all. Below middle C, from the A key all the way down the left side, these keys seem to be working, I even tried moving the split point around, but the same keys don’t play and others trigger multiple notes.

I cannot work out therefore if this is software or hardware.

No-one seems to have the same issue as me, Korg are not interested, and I am heart-broken this once flagship expensive keyboard is not working. It wasn’t moved between working and not working, it is in a climate controlled soundproof room, so has had the best treatment it could have.

Has anyone heard of this, or could point me in the right direction, I really have tried everything before posting here.

Thank you. Kind Regards Darren.

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post, and I'm seeking help if that is ok - I am at a total loss now

The basic issue is this – my Korg Kronos 88 keyboard was working fine, we used it every day in a studio throughout the pandemic, and then it was not played for a month. When we turned it back on, all booted up as normal, but when we went to play it some of the notes were not working, and some of the notes were playing double or triple notes. There is no pattern to what works or not, eg it is not every other note, nor the same notes not working in each octave.

I contacted Korg who were no help. I then researched online, did a factory reset, and even found a video tutorial which spoke about the contact strips on some Korg’s developing a fault. To test this theory, I moved the short contact strips around inside the keyboard to see if the issue moved to different keys with the faulty(?) strips, but with many combinations of moving these strips around, the same notes didn’t work. So, I felt this was not a hardware issue and may be more of a software issue?

I again researched known issues, and while some folk have missing notes due to midi settings, none seem to have the issue I am having with multiple notes being triggered by one key and other keys not doing anything at all. Below middle C, from the A key all the way down the left side, these keys seem to be working, I even tried moving the split point around, but the same keys don’t play and others trigger multiple notes.

No-one seems to have the same issue as me, Korg are not interested, and I am heart-broken this once flagship expensive keyboard is not working. It wasn’t moved between working and not working, it is in a climate controlled soundproof room, so has had the best treatment it could have.

Has anyone heard of this, or could point me in the right direction, I really have tried everything before posting here.

Hi Darren

I have exactly the same problem on my kronos 61 key, double or triple notes on half the keyboard and the other half not working. It's random groups of keys the length of the keyboard that don't work.

In my case the problem is intermittent, it will work ok for days on end then suddenly the problem comes back.

Currently taking the keyboard apart to look for hardware problems. Will let you know if we find anything. How are you getting on with yours?

Reaction score
Hi Darren

I have exactly the same problem on my kronos 61 key, double or triple notes on half the keyboard and the other half not working. It's random groups of keys the length of the keyboard that don't work.

In my case the problem is intermittent, it will work ok for days on end then suddenly the problem comes back.

Currently taking the keyboard apart to look for hardware problems. Will let you know if we find anything. How are you getting on with yours?

Hi thanks for your reply - it sounds awful to say I am so pleased someone is having the same issues as me, but I don't feel alone anymore!

I eventually found Clive at CMB Tech Repairs back in Sept and we have exchanged a few emails, but no solution yet - I've not been able to use these keys for over a year! He suggested a few things to nail down the issue, one of which was to put coloured tape on the keys either not working or misbehaving to see if there was a pattern and there definitely was... but this has brought us no closer to a solution.

He suggested replacing rubber contacts but I switched those around and this seemed to make little difference to the issue, the other thing he suggested was replacing the RH-3 SW-PCB ASSY which is what the rubbers trigger on to I think - they are just under £50 and simple to replace, I was going to take a punt on that and try and replace it myself to see if it was that before I travelled across the country to drop it off to him.

It is such a shame Korg themselves are not helpful. Do please keep in touch if you find a solution and likewise I will pop anything I find back up on here.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Have you installed the latest firmware?

Even if you have, download a fresh copy and reinstall it again.

(Backup your sh*t first of course.)

All it takes sometimes is a stray cosmic ray to flip a critical bit in flash memory and ruin your entire day.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Darren

Hi did you ever get a solution sorted - unfortunately life has taken over and this is keyboard has not been working for nearly 2 years now!!!!

Reaction score
Have you installed the latest firmware?

Even if you have, download a fresh copy and reinstall it again.

(Backup your sh*t first of course.)

All it takes sometimes is a stray cosmic ray to flip a critical bit in flash memory and ruin your entire day.

Gary ;)
Hi Gary, thanks for the reply, I have installed new firmware, factory reset (I think... I've tried so many things), downgrade and then upgraded firmware again and nothing seems to change things. That said, it kept all my settings intact each time, so I wonder if there is a more drastic 'fuller??' factory reset, as this really seems to be a software issue as if it has gone into a weird chord mode or something. There is a clear pattern to the notes that don't work - see attached photo the blue tape shows the keys that mess up - any more thoughts gratefully appreciated as this keyboard has just say for ages!!!

Attachments

• 20230414_190210.jpg
    20230414_190210.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hi Darren

Just to close this off now I've finally got a solution. Clive from http://www.cmbtechrepairs.co.uk/ took me through some scenarios and was almost 100% certain from symptoms described that the 2 key contact circuit boards were at fault. He sent me 2 new ones and... They worked!

Part numbers were RH-3 SW-PCB ASSY

2 years without a keyboard and now working! Very happy chap indeed! Totally recommend Clive as well.

Blessings Darren

Ask a Question