Korg Kross 2-88?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with, and comments about, the Korg Kross 2, especially the 88-key model? One of the stores is having a spring cleaning sale and have the Korg Kross 2-88 on sale for about the price of a Korg Kross 2-61. I've been sitting on the fence for over a year about getting an 88-note keyboard or controller, and $800 USD for a (hopefully) brand new Korg Kross 2-88 seems hard to pass up.

Reaction score
The Kross 2 is a good keyboard.

The sound quality of the standard sounds is pretty good, it is very easy to create layer Registrations that can be saved into a very generous User Bank plus they can be assigned to one of the Pads for a single touch change.

There are pages and pages and pages of adjustments that can be made to each individual sound or Program as Korg calls them, this is also true of the layered sounds or again in Korg speak, a Combi.

Korg’s Steve McNally is the presenter of the video manual series which you will probably find very useful in making your final decision.

The keybed on the 88 is if I am correct the NH and the same as that fitted to the entry level B2 Digital Piano, Korg’s next level hammer action is the PH4 which is fitted to the D1 Digital Piano which is the next DP in Korg’s lineup.

The K2 is a direct competitor to the Roland Juno DS and it is swings and roundabouts to compare them, the Korg has a better onboard Recording function and ease of operation, but only after climbing a steep learning curve.

I only choose the Kross 2 over the Juno on its size and much lighter weight.

Downsides:-

Sound cut off when changing Program or Combi.

Keybed feel, the NH action is not imo as good as what Casio, Roland and Yamaha have in their DP’s at the $500-900 price range.

Learning curve

Plus points:-

Onboard sounds

Ease of changing Programs or Combis

Customisation

Onboard memory

Connectivity

Reaction score
I had the Kross 2 88 but sold it some time ago.
Sound and function wise, I didn't have much to complain about, but ultimately, a workstation wasn't what I wanted and the action fell short for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad action, more or less comparable with Yamaha's GHS, although the latter is a tad better for piano.

If you want to buy the Kross 2 88 as a controller to play pop and rock music, then I don't think you'll be disappointed ; the NH is solid enough for that, unless you want to go play more advanced classical pieces.
If you can get if for more or less the price of the 61, then I wouldn't hesitate, really (I actually got mine for the exact same price of the 61 ; whether that was a mistake on the website or intentional, I don't know, but the price went back up a few days after I bought it, and I actually sold it with a bit of a profit :p )

For the rest, Biggles already summed up the pros and the cons, so I guess you get the idea. I just wanted to comment on the action specifically since I know Biggles had the 61 key model. Just wanted to add that the higher-end action from Korg is not the PHA4 (that's actually Roland's), but the RH3, which you'll find in the (amongst others) D1, SV1/SV2, Grandstage and of course the Kronos 88 and that keybed is actually really really nice.
The NH is, as was said, in the B1/B2, the XE20, Kross 2 88 and the Krome EX 88 (amongst others).

If you actually need all the functions that come with the Kross 2, then by all means, go for it. If you're just looking for a controller, the D1 is more 'bare bones', but is probably even cheaper than that Kross 2 88 on sale, and the keybed really is miles ahead. Just a thought...

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Well, to be brutally frank, I need another keyboard like I need a flying saucer-- that is, it would be really cool to own another one and have fun with it, but my family would probably insist that I check myself into a mental facility for a professional evaluation!

On the one hand, that price is very tempting. On the other hand, I would probably benefit more from a controller that has a variety of different controls for adjusting my many soft synths and other virtual instruments, and I'd like one with aftertouch if possible (which the Kross 2 doesn't have).

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You could always pick up the Kross, then sell off one of your lesser keyboards to make space.

This is how I built my studio up over the years. Buying and selling gear and constantly upgrading each time.

What else you gonna do with your money in your old age? Leave it to your rotten grandkids? :D

BTW, I would LOVE to own a flying saucer. :D

And once you've experienced playing with 88 weighted keys you'll ask yourself how the hell did you ever manage before?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The only trouble with an 88 key controller is finding one that has a half decent feel to the keybed.

Based purely on reviews, a Studiologic SL 88 @ $500 is probably one of the best and it has aftertouch.

I did briefly own a Roland A800 which has synth action, 61 keys which are velocity adjustable and has aftertouch, cost is about $400. This was the best action of any controller that I have tried in its price but it was awkward to set up with my limited MIDI skills, I swapped the A800 for the Yamaha P121 DP that I currently have.

The best feel of any controller for me was the NI S88 but that is serious cash

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I lucked out on the two 88's I own. Juno DS88 and Kurzweil PC3K8.

Both have an excellent feel and I can go back and forth between the two without difficulty.

Then again I started out with synth style keys like a lot of people and am not a keybed purist like some people,

My spin on it is that it doesn't matter a bit what other people think. You are the one who has to play it.

I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question