Korg M50 No Midi out

Reaction score
I am new here, so this question may have been already answered previously. My search did not turn anything up. After 10 years of reliable use as both a keyboard to play out and a source of MIDI for other modules, I am not getting any MIDI out. Inside my studio I have a Kurzweil 1200PX, Roland vintage synth module, DX mole and other things that now are not receiving the midi from the M50. I dragged out the 35 year old monstrous 88 key Kawai controller I used to use before and MIDI is received on the other modules from the Kawai. Inside the M50 there is a rudimentary MIDI window setting that appears to be correct. Has anyone else had this problem?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
UARTs do occasionally go bad. It may simply be a hardware issue requiring technical service.

It was a far more prevalent problem in the 70's and 80's before they started putting in diode protection when accidentally plugging a MIDI OUT to another MIDI OUT could blow out the port and require service.

The M50 is not old enough to have that vulnerability but literally anything from a rug shock to a power surge can blow out an electronic component. Even the simple act of plugging and unplugging a MIDI port while the unit is powered up can blow out the port.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you don't want to spend money on the repair or if you will get to it whenever you're able, you can use the USB port in the meantime.

Simply use a laptop or a tablet as a MIDI router to act as a backup MIDI port.

It's a workaround that should work until you can get it repaired.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Is there a special USB to MIDI cable I can order that will link directly from the M50's MIDI out to another module's MIDI in?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IF the M50's USB port is USB MIDI Class Compliant, then you can use a standalone USB MIDI HOST device to connect the two without a computer.

There are a few models available by online order in a wide range of prices.

Google may turn up a few newer models.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BUT!!! It will ONLY work IF the M50 is USB MIDI Class Compliant.

I'm too lazy to check the specs. Google them yourself or check your manual.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question