Korg m50 vs. Kurzweil PC3LE7 vs. Korg Krome

Reaction score
Most of my current synths are old analog (super jupiter, dw-8000, alpha juno, poly-six), although I do use some sample based rack mounts from the 90's. Looking for something with modern features including full drum kit, performance patches, realistic samples, effects. But also with a few old school features such as a few vintage synth sounds, organic organs, assignable knobs, appegiator, etc. I have a number of Korg products and kind of know what to expect, but have never played a Kurzweil.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I went from a Korg TR76 to a Kurzweil PC3K8 top of the line flagship model. Synths and ethnic sounds are weak on the Kurz though hopefully this can be corrected by a $300 addon board the Kore 64 expansion module.

The PC3LE7 sells for half the price, but also has half the polyphony and DSP power of the PC3K and lacks the ability to load sampled sounds. It is also unable to use the Kore 64 module.

If your intent is to play techno and synth pop then I'd advise sticking with Korg. My TR76 required minimal tweaking to get usable synth sounds while with the PC3K it's like pulling teeth.

Then again if you are looking for decent pianos and clavs and electric pianos the Kurz has 128 (Count em) of these sounds and they are mostly quite good out of the box. Likewise the KB3 organs are impressive with full drawbar controls.

I'm still barely out of the honeymoon phase with my Kurzweil so I'm still struggling with over 800 pages of documentation and hours of tutorial videos. It's a machine with promise, but overall it's more of a DIY labor of love to get the desired results sometimes unlike the Korgs which put it all in one slick, smooth package ready to go out of the box.

Then again, if Korg ever puts the Kronos into a rack mounted module I'd pick one up in a heartbeat and have the best of both worlds. The Kurz is an incredibly configurable top notch MIDI controller as well as a standalone synth.

Hope this helps, ;)

Gary

PS. Incidentally I'm thinking of picking up a $500 Waldorf Blofeld Module this winter to supplement my weak PC3K synths.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other thing worth mentioning is that Kurzweil provides a magnificent level of support for both their newest keyboards as well as their legacy products, while Korg deletes every relevant webpage concerning a product as soon as the product is discontinued.

Here's a set of Video Tutorials produced by Kurz for the PC3 Line that covers programming the OS in exhaustive detail.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/video/

Since all of the PC3 line shares a lot of common architecture this information is also pertinent to the LE line to a major degree as well.

Reaction score
Techno and pop isn't a factor. The pianos, kb3s, clavs is what peaked my interest with the Kurzweil. Also like the smaller screen, clean layout and the fact that it has a usb storage port (don't know why anyone would want to use sd cards for a keyboard). I find the big touch screen on the Korgs to be more a distraction than anything, and I tend to stack tight so it may force having the Korg on top. On the plus side for the Korgs, it is a lot of sound and features for the money.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well then the Kurz is definitely worth considering for you. I have a friend in Russia with whom I skype regularly and she owns a PC3LE6. She's blind from birth and classically trained since early childhood.

She loves her LE and manages to navigate the basic controls well enough, but she is lost when it comes to deeper programming unless she uses the soundtower software with speech synthesis on her computer.

Anyway, my advice would be that you should consider spending a bit more and take a look at the PC3K line. As previously mentioned it has twice the processing power, twice the polyphony and the ability to load samples for custom sounds.

It also has 9 drawbar sliders instead of the 5 on the LE allowing full organ emulation and it has aftertouch which I'm not certain the LE models have.

If the price is outside your budget also consider picking up a used unit from your local craigslist, or consider getting a used PC3x instead.

I've seen the PC3x selling locally used for about the same price as a new PC3LE8.

This would also give you a chance to check out the unit with someone who already understands it intimately.

Anyway, it's food for thought...

Gary

Ask a Question