Korg Nautilus...

Reaction score
Long time no see... ;)

I've been having some fun with my ES110 in my mini amateur home studio, using it together with a cheap Novation Launchkey midi controller. I'm using Cubase as my DAW.

However, I would like to expand my 'horizons', as they say, and replace that Launchkey with something 'beefier'.
I used to own a Korg Kross 2 88 and I must admit that I liked it a lot, so my attention automatically turned to Korg.

The Nautilus seemed like the obvious step up so I've been looking a the Nautilus 61 a bit closer. As said, would like to combine it with my ES110, which I would continue to use for all the piano parts and just use the Nautilus for some extra fun (I briefly considered replacing the ES110 with a Nautilus 88 but I guess I'll have more flexibility with two boards). Moreover, it has editor software which you can use as a plugin in your DAW, something the Kross 2 has as well. I admit, the thought of getting the 61-key version of the Kross 2 'crossed' my mind (no pun intended) but seeing that the keybad of that board is plastic fantastic, I decided against that.

So, the Nautilus. A question about pedals, too.
Seeing I also have a Focusrite 4i4, how would be the best way to connect everything, so that I can have half pedaling from the Kawai playing the Nautilus' sounds ?
I would like this to work when I'm using the DAW but also when I decide to just use the two boards without a computer.

As usual, perhaps a stupid question, but any feedback would be appreciated :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It depends entirely on whether or not the Korg recognizes a MIDI half pedal code or whether the Kawai even sends them.

Read the MIDI specs on both and you'll know.

Sounds like a fun rig.

Be sure and post pics :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've been rethinking... :p
It's been a while since I bought something new so my GAS is starting to cause an itch...

Instead of keeping the ES110 as the 88 key hammer action board, I'd like to get something to replace it (wouldn't sell the Kawai, though, because I know I'd only regret it afterwards ;) ). Long story short, I'm mostly looking for something I want, rather than something I need :cool:)

I'd replace the Launchkey with an Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, which will assure me enough control over my DAW (main DAW is Cubase Artist but I switch to Ableton Live Lite from time to time, starting to like it more and more so might switch over time). It has a quality semi-weighted key action, a huge improvement over the Novation Launchkey.

Anyway, for the 88-key, since I'm using it for a home studio, I'd like a keybed with very little mechanical noise. So I'm looking at different options, workstations, stage pianos, you name it, as long as it has a quiet and light hammer action feel.

Nautilus 88, RH3, really good keybed plus all the other goodies the Nautilus (or Kronos 'lite') has to offer. MIDI functionality is extensive as well. The D1 could work as well, but that's just basically my ES110 with a different keybed and I want some new goodies to play with. Don't know if the action is quiet enough for a home studio, only played the RH3 in a store, sounded quieter than Kawai's RHC...

The 'new' MODX8+ could be an option, soundwise certainly a match for the Nautilus but with questionable build quality and a not that good a key action, when compared to the Nautilus, or even my ES110. After all, piano remains my main focus. I could live with the action, though, if I knew it was quiet enough...

The Fantom 08, a Fantom 8 'lite', then. Looks good specs wise but it doesn't really resonate with me (sound, especially pianos, isn't convincing after having watched and listened to numerous Youtube videos and soundcloud tracks). PHA4 is solid, but a bit too heavy for me, ultimately.

CP88 I love, but I recently got to play one again briefly and the action, although really good, is too heavy for my taste, ultimately.

RD2000, it's been too long on the market already so I'm not going to go that route and I don't like the way it looks, to be honest. It's a beast of a board, really good action, though, but not really quiet.

And then Nord. I've always wanted a Nord but they're really made for live playing, which I don't do anymore (but that wouldn't stop me from buying one). Plus, they're not cheap. It's been a long time since I've played the Piano 4 in a store and it felt 'ok' but the Piano 5's keybed is supposed to have been improved. Must try and have a go at one of these. Sound is superb, I love the control scheme as well (judging from Youtube videos).
Sadly, MIDI capabilities are really poor, as it seems (asked the question on the Nord forum) so that might be a deal breaker.

Quietest action on a board I have owned was the GF in the MP11SE, best action in a stage piano. But like the RD2000, a beast of a board and I'm not going to buy that again. The MP7SE, possibly, but like the MP11SE, been out too long so I'm not willing to pay full price for it now (and unlike the MP11SE, the RHIII isn't all that quiet).

The last one on my list could be the ticket, though. The hard part will be finding one in a store to try out. The new Studiologic Numa X Piano GT is receiving high praise from everyone, for its sounds and especially for its action : the new Fatar TP400 W has been described by some as the best action in a digital piano ever. Also, it is said this action is quiet :) ). I know, take it with a grain of salt, but you'd be hard pressed to find a negative review on this board. Also, MIDI wise, it's practically second to none.

The Studiologic is also just over half the price of the Nord. Still, my eyes are on the Piano 5 for the moment, but its limited MIDI functionality might make me go for the Numa X GT instead. For example : I mostly work with VSTs but I would still like to be able to use the pitch/bend and mod wheels on the arturia with the built-in sounds of the bottom board, something which apparently is not possible with the Piano 5.

Anybody here who has actually played either the Piano 5 and/or Numa X Piano GT ? Thoughts about the action, functionality or maybe even integration in a (home) studio ?

Ask a Question