korg pa 1000

Reaction score
As my new sx900 has problems i am looking at korg.
I downloaded the handbook.
Does it have registrations like the sx900?
Ots suggested voices?
It has far less memory, is it an older model?
Only one pendrive socket
Watching videos the sounds are about the same, some are maybe better and some slighly worse
Anything else i should consider?
Thanks all

3dc

Reaction score
@Biggles is your go to guy for Korg but I tested the SX900 and Pa1000 in music shop and to me Pa1000 gives way more then SX900 including aftertouch, better speakers, HDMI,.... The only quite strange drawback is Pa1000 does not record in wav format.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Head over to Korg Forums.

Watch the Video Manual series

Watch the Webinars on Crowdcast.

I bet nine times out of ten of reviews that you have watched the reviewer is using a stock PA1000, as standard all Korgs are shipped with neutral audio settings, turn on the Eq and select one of the six available presets and the keyboard will become transformed.

The Sequencer is also superior to that in the SX, as is the OS overall where in line with current Korg logic features are unlocked and expanded as OS updates are released.

There is one USB socket for a memory stick and also a socket for a Micro SD card. I used a 64Gb memory stick and a 128Gb MicroSD card in my Pa.

There is a vast library of additional Korg sounds and styles that can be added for free as is Osimo which is a standalone Songbook that runs from the USB memory stick.

The PA is also a Sampler.

If you are used to the cr4p OS as used by Yamaha then you would be in for a steep learning curve but once learned everything becomes very quick and easy to do.

The heart of the Korg system is their Songbook, you save your chosen Style to Songbook as a specific Song, you then customise the song as you want and once saved a single press call up the Song to play. All this can be set to run from the a Direct folder on the USB memory stick which then becomes fully transportable to be used in other PA keyboards.

Sounds are customisable in Keyboard Sets.

One critical action that must be undertaken on all Korg Pa keyboards is the generation of a SaveAll file in addition to a Backup file for whenever the OS is updated the User data is wiped and the SaveAll file is then loaded and User Data is restored within the updated OS. Many owners have failed to do this in other words they fail to RTFM.

Don’t take my word for it that the Korg is imo superior to the Yamaha go into a store and play them back to back, the Yamaha does have very good piano sounds but the remainder are shrill and grating to my my ears. Just remember to go into the Global menu on the Korg and turn on the Eq.

I am not anti Yamaha, in that the SX is vastly better than the prior S models but you will still be up against the terrible support that Yamaha have, Saulo from Korg Support on the other hand is a star as are the Korg Staffer Guys on the various Facebook pages that are specific to the Pa.

I played a Pa700 v S775 and a 1000 v S900, Korgs were both better for my tastes

More recently I tried an SX 700 and SX 900 they are both very good and built better and sound better than the S models but the Korgs still have the edge.

I am pretty confident that you will not be disappointed once you have played both keyboards back to back.

Reaction score
Both the PA700 and PA1000 were announced mid 2017 ( sort of sad that I know that ).

I bought my PA700 in September 2017, I was lucky to buy it as it was probably one of very few that were available at that time.

Despite being announced at the same time the PA1000 only became readily available in April 2018.

Hence it is not an old model.

The Korg flagship Arranger is the PA4X which is much older and successive updates to the OS has unlocked and created a far superior Arranger to that which was originally released. This action does seem the norm with Korg, which btw and is applicable for the Arrangers but they are not of far east design, all the PA’s are the product of Korg Italy.

Very extensive manuals are available for the PA models which are typically over a 1000 pages long which reflect the complexity of the keyboards.

If you have a specific budget and have concerns then the PA1000 is not likely to be superseded any time soon.

Reaction score
PA1000 is not likely to be superseded any time soon.
Pity that. the sx900 is newer and has more uptodate screen characters and amount of memory.
The tutorial videos were very helpful.
Our new sx900 has at least one voice that wont work properly on at least one key. (asian standards?)
Ever heard of such a thing?
Thanks

Reaction score
BTW, the Pa1000 has 2 usb slots...one in front, one in back.
the Sx900 sounds seem better from the factory, while the PA1000 sounds a little lackluster. But, the Pa1000 seems designed for the player to easily alter the sounds to fit the player’s needs.
The PA1000’s Aftertouch is a huge deal for pitch bend, modulation, etc., since your left hand is usually tied up playing chords for the arranger section or Manual bass.
On my PA1000, I downloaded a Salamander piano sample that I like much better than the stock factory pianos.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On the other forum, a very knowledgeable lady figured out that the problem with the sound on the voice in question was caused by the preset value on one of the multi-band EQ settings, but this was only after several wrong guesses and much discussion, so it wasn't an easy problem to solve.

I do like the fact that the Pa1000 has aftertouch! :cool:

Reaction score
BTW, the Pa1000 has 2 usb slots...one in front, one in back.
the Sx900 sounds seem better from the factory, while the PA1000 sounds a little lackluster. But, the Pa1000 seems designed for the player to easily alter the sounds to fit the player’s needs.
The PA1000’s Aftertouch is a huge deal for pitch bend, modulation, etc., since your left hand is usually tied up playing chords for the arranger section or Manual bass.
On my PA1000, I downloaded a Salamander piano sample that I like much better than the stock factory pianos.

Check out Reuben’s piano sample, he has links to the download on the Korg Forum, I found it a great addition.

Ask a Question