Korg PA4X

Reaction score
As you know this or rather its successor is the keyboard I want.

Korg have not updated the OS on the keyboard for nearly two years and they have beed banging on about how good the v3 Next OS is and how much better the new features released or unlocked in the PA4X and it now provides the best in class all round Arranger.

Now one of the features is the efficiency of the samples used within the keyboard.

Here comes the rub, a user has got to work on some of the samples and initial research is showing that the algorithm used are in fact very lossy.

There is no way I am spending £2500 on a PA4X and I am glad I did not pull the plug and buy one last year.

Reaction score
Now one of the features is the efficiency of the samples used within the keyboard.

Here comes the rub, a user has got to work on some of the samples and initial research is showing that the algorithm used are in fact very lossy.
Do they give you the option as to whether to use the compression or not?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a few for sale in Toronto, one with a hard case. Another with 2 years warranty.

Most of these are less than a year old to boot.

Must not be as wonderful as they thought it was when they bought it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
They are great keyboards, and there is the usual but, but the learning curve is very steep and Korg manuals being, well Korg manuals if all you know is Yamaha you will struggle to get into the Korg ethos.

The OS of all the PA are very similar as is the ethos of the way the keyboard is designed to e used. I still have my memory stick with all the files on it from my 700 and I could plug it into a 4X and after loading a Set file it would be all configured ready to play my Songbook entries.

Over here a PA4X is not much difference in price than a Kronos and for me it would win my cash over the Kronos if the PA4X was a new model and not one where no update has been released in neigh on two years and hence why my reluctance to spend my pension on one.

Reaction score
I have yet to try the PA4X, from the research I have done I really like the sounds it has to offer. I got rid of my Genos about a year ago and quite honestly I regret it. If there doesn't seem to be a PA4X upgrade then you have to think that the Yamaha Genos is the way to go!

It is always the same when comparing keyboards. Some are better at certain sounds than others and for obvious reasons it's impossible to find a board that does everything you want and has all the sounds you want.

Reaction score
As you know this or rather its successor is the keyboard I want.

Korg have not updated the OS on the keyboard for nearly two years and they have beed banging on about how good the v3 Next OS is and how much better the new features released or unlocked in the PA4X and it now provides the best in class all round Arranger.

There is no way I am spending £2500 on a PA4X and I am glad I did not pull the plug and buy one last year.
Hello,

I bought a new Korg PAx4 in May of 2020. I was going to replace my Yamaha Tyro 5 with a Yamaha Genos, but for less money than the Tyros 5 replacement I got a Pa4X with the Paas speakers. I am glad I did this as the PaX4 is wonderful and I still like and have my Tyros 5. Once I learned the Korg software I can do much more with the Korg. I paid $3,800 for the Korg and speakers and the price included tax and shipping. It was shipped to me Fedex and I ordered it one day and got it the next.

Regards,

Ed

Reaction score
Absolutely loving the PA4X I bought a couple months ago. Best purchase I ever made. I'm probably averaging 2 hours a day and it's a blast.

Never tried a Genos but everything I read said it's comparable to PA4X, maybe better in a few areas, but costs 50% more.

Reubens piano sounds were key for me - significantly better than the piano sounds the PA4X came with.

So far I haven't really found any major complaints. Even the semi-weighted keys are growing on me.

Reaction score
I have yet to try the PA4X, from the research I have done I really like the sounds it has to offer. I got rid of my Genos about a year ago and quite honestly I regret it. If there doesn't seem to be a PA4X upgrade then you have to think that the Yamaha Genos is the way to go!

It is always the same when comparing keyboards. Some are better at certain sounds than others and for obvious reasons it's impossible to find a board that does everything you want and has all the sounds you want.

Why did you sell the Genos?

Reaction score
Why are you basing your opinion of the PA4X on the fact that it hasn't been upgraded for over a year, how frequently do you expect upgrades and what are you expecting from an upgrade?
IMO It's the best Arranger Keyboard out there and doesn't need upgrading, I would suspect the sample problem you mentioned is due, as anotherscott pointed out, may be due to compressed samples being worked on instead of full samples. Samples may be compressed to save memory and the option is available to de-compress.

Reaction score
There's a few for sale in Toronto, one with a hard case. Another with 2 years warranty.

Must not be as wonderful as they thought it was when they bought it.

More likely is that they were used for performance, and these are pretty darned difficult to find (one has Middle Eastern add-ins, presumably for weddings and events that are no longer being held).

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a new Korg PAx4 in May of 2020. I was going to replace my Yamaha Tyro 5 with a Yamaha Genos, but for less money than the Tyros 5 replacement I got a Pa4X with the Paas speakers. I am glad I did this as the PaX4 is wonderful and I still like and have my Tyros 5. Once I learned the Korg software I can do much more with the Korg. I paid $3,800 for the Korg and speakers and the price included tax and shipping. It was shipped to me Fedex and I ordered it one day and got it the next.

Regards,

Ed

Reaction score
Helo Ed
Is this something you can recognice?
I am new on a second hand Pa4x Next 3.1 from this year and come from Yamaha Psr s975
When I sing through Yamahas internal speakers there are no problems. When I sing through PAAS speaker or even through headphones I sence a disturbing latency? Sounds as if a little chorus or autotune effect is added. Is that a Korg thing? I also made a factory reset to see if it helped with no difference

Reaction score
Helo Ed
Is this something you can recognice?
I am new on a second hand Pa4x Next 3.1 from this year and come from Yamaha Psr s975
When I sing through Yamahas internal speakers there are no problems. When I sing through PAAS speaker or even through headphones I sence a disturbing latency? Sounds as if a little chorus or autotune effect is added. Is that a Korg thing? I also made a factory reset to see if it helped with no difference
Hello,

I have not tried singing on the Pa4x Next 3.1. My Yamaha Tyros 5 does have some latency that sounds like a reverb unit.

Ed

Reaction score
Thank you Ed - I will have to try out a different Korg. Problem is that it is hard to find users nearby to see if it is a ‘Korg thing’
By the way: any difference in chord recognition between Pa4x and Tyros? I sometimes struggle with it when playing ‘pianomode’ unless I use ‘lover’ only as full piano

Reaction score
Thank you Ed - I will have to try out a different Korg. Problem is that it is hard to find users nearby to see if it is a ‘Korg thing’
By the way: any difference in chord recognition between Pa4x and Tyros? I sometimes struggle with it when playing ‘pianomode’ unless I use ‘lover’ only as full piano
Hello.
I have not found and difference in chord recognition between the Korg and Yahama. The keybed on the Korg feels better than the Yamaha this is especially noticeable when playing fast songs. Once I learned the Korg software it is so much more capable than the Yamaha. The Yamaha sounds good and the Korg sounds great. My wife prefers to listen to me play the Korg.
Ed

Reaction score
Hello.
I have not found and difference in chord recognition between the Korg and Yahama. The keybed on the Korg feels better than the Yamaha this is especially noticeable when playing fast songs. Once I learned the Korg software it is so much more capable than the Yamaha. The Yamaha sounds good and the Korg sounds great. My wife prefers to listen to me play the Korg.
Ed
Hey Ed
I guess I will have to keep both -like you.

Ask a Question