Korg PA700/1000

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy one of these keyboards. But I've checked everywhere and they're sold out. Now, I know these boards have been around for quite a few years, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing really to replace them (eg., the PA4x is quite a bit more expensive, and doesn't have onboard speakers). So what gives?

Reaction score
That is the ultimate question!

The answer is only Korg knows.

Korg seem to have discontinued the Kronos range, the model is now consigned to the archive section of their website.

The Pa4X is long in the tooth and there has not been any significant update to its OS since the Next version was released back in 2018. The tech inside a 4X predates the 700/1000 models so in the near future spare are going to be an issue as it is a design from 2015.

The 700 & 1000 date from 2017 when they were released and zero significant updates have been forthcoming since their release, so at the minimum a refresh is much overdue.

Personally I would not buy and Pa model at present, nor would I ever buy any Yamaha. Yes their Genos and SX models are newer than Korg’s but the Genos at $6000 is at a stupid price, it imo is not worth anything like that amount.

Speculation is rife on the korgforums website about new models and poor quality videos and images of what is said to be the new Pa5X have been posted. The keyboard is definitely different to the 4X with larger LCD and a slightly different button layout.

Time will tell.

Reaction score
What would you recommend instead? Things I particularly like about PA series are touchscreen, songbook, and the ability to create styles from MIDI files.

Reaction score
There is no alternative as such.

IMO despite it being released in 2017 but not available until late Q1 2028 the Pa1000 is superior to the Yamaha SX900 in many ways.

Hence if you can get past the fact that there have no significant updates to it it is still a lot of keyboard for the money, if it is an arranger keyboard that you want.

According to my local store the Pa1000 is due in the end of February and another says end March, but who knows.

Korg has their bonusware site where 50+ Style packs are available to download and install for free plus there is a preconfigured Songbook called Osimo available which includes c150 songs and it will run off a USB stick.

MIDI to Style works well if the file is of the correct format and includes GM sounds that the Pa recognises, even then some tweaking of the created Style may well be required.

If you research then you will find some digital pianos with limited arranger functions but they do have the ability to play MIDI files.

Ask a Question