KORG SV2 out of tune

Reaction score
hi everyone i am brand new here and am praying someone can help me. Does anyone here have the KORG SV2, and if so does it have intonation issues predominantly in the lower half of the board? I just replaced one from a month ago and the piano patches on both are OUT OF TUNE ?!?
thank you!
scott

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If your keyboard has a pitch bend wheel it may be going wonky.

Check if there's a calibration procedure in your manual.

If there's no calibration procedure see if you can disable it in the menus.

Also back up your settings and try a system reset to reset any microtunings or transpositions that may have crept into the menus and see if that fixes it.

Otherwise, if none of these work, the pitch wheel may need to be replaced.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Also, pitch bend or transpose wouldn't affect only some keys. I wonder if it's a stretch tuning thing? (Real pianos are typically tuned "true" in the center, slightly sharp as you go up and slightly flat as you go down.)

Reaction score
Look at Page 36 of the SV2 manual and you will see that your SV2 has 8 different tuning curves that can be set.

If this is not the solution read up on master tuning on Page 103 as this is a virtual adjustment knob that may have been inadvertently moved from standard.

Reaction score
Also, pitch bend or transpose wouldn't affect only some keys. I wonder if it's a stretch tuning thing? (Real pianos are typically tuned "true" in the center, slightly sharp as you go up and slightly flat as you go down.)
Although this is true it is not radically noticeable. The fact that he is out of tune would indicate that it is not stretch tuning. He indicates that he replaced one from a month ago. I'm wondering if it is a new replacement or did he buy a used one for which the previous owner could have been fooling around with the 8 tuning curves. The first thing I would do is a hard reset on the keyboard (if this is possible) to reset the tuning curves to "standard" and adjust any other potential parameters back to standard.

Reaction score
Although this is true it is not radically noticeable.
It can be more noticeable if, for example, you're layering your internal sound with an external sound, and your internal sound is stretch tuned while your external one is not. I know, he didn't say he was layering. He also didn't say he wasn't. ;-)

Reaction score
Although this is true it is not radically noticeable. The fact that he is out of tune would indicate that it is not stretch tuning. He indicates that he replaced one from a month ago. I'm wondering if it is a new replacement or did he buy a used one for which the previous owner could have been fooling around with the 8 tuning curves. The first thing I would do is a hard reset on the keyboard (if this is possible) to reset the tuning curves to "standard" and adjust any other potential parameters back to standard.
both boards were brand new out of the box. i did reset factory settings. i am going to mess the the tuning curves again in hopes i didn't apply the changes correctly last attempt.

Reaction score
It can be more noticeable if, for example, you're layering your internal sound with an external sound, and your internal sound is stretch tuned while your external one is not. I know, he didn't say he was layering. He also didn't say he wasn't. ;-)
no layering this is just between the relationships note to note innumber of intervals, in all the piano patches

Reaction score
i am going to mess with the tuning curves again

Reaction score
no layering its regarding certain intervals, say D2-F#3 for example, is just plain nails on chalkboard out

Reaction score
I would record the wierdness you are hearing and contact Korg support and get an opinion from them. I also would not mess with curves; reset the keyboard back to factory, then immediately do the recording and send them to Korg for evaluation before any adjustments are made to anything. The keyboard should be delivered in tune.

Reaction score
I had similar intonation problems with a clavinoa. I ultimately gave the Clavinoa away and bought a new Yamaha. What do yu know, the new one was also out of tune just like the Clavinoa was. In my case the pianos were not at fault. It was my hearing that was failing, Be sure that other musicians also hear your tuning problem. The problem may not be the pianos.

Reaction score
I have had another thought on your problem.

Download a Tuner app on to your phone or tablet and play each note and write down the result and frequency.

You then will have the proof.

I have done just this on my iPad and checked my DP and I am pretty pleased with the accuracy of the tuning.

Reaction score
I would record the wierdness you are hearing and contact Korg support and get an opinion from them. I also would not mess with curves; reset the keyboard back to factory, then immediately do the recording and send them to Korg for evaluation before any adjustments are made to anything. The keyboard should be delivered in tune.
that is a great suggestion...although I can't get ANYONE to help me from KORG. 2 weeks of resending my (very detailed) emails finally got me a form letter apologizing for having trouble and recommended bringing my board to the nearest dealer, addressing none of my concerns. i have tweeted multiple please to @KORGUSA on twitter with no response. there is ZERO PHONE SUPPORT. I wouldn't even know who to send a recording that i would trust would respond to me. i never thought i would have a headache like this from such a reputable company it is disheartening to be sure.

Reaction score
Scott if you want to post your video evidence of the intonation issues here or in PM to me I'll see if I can track down a Korg US rep for you. No promises of success but I'll do my best for you.

Reaction score
@KorgLuke on Twitter will get Luke Edwards the best Korg guy in the UK, he may be able to point you to someone in the USA who does give a cr4p about customer service.

Failing that, you have the Lemon Law, send the SV back and buy another make.

Ask a Question