Korg TR upgrade path...

Reaction score
Hey folks - new here. I've seriously tried to find answers to this, but I can never find exactly what I'm looking for...

Several years ago I bought a used TR and I frikkin' love it. It does exactly what I need. I have since bought two more including an 88-key version (I would love to find a TR76, but no luck yet).

The 8-part multi-timbral split is huge as I often run 6-7 splits over two controllers while simultaneously running a drum loop or sequence. However I do sometimes run out of voices with only 64 on the TRs and I'd also like to update the patches to newer and better pianos, organs, synths etc. More insert effects would be useful too. I'd also like to be able to edit more quickly on PC (Korg has no software for the TR).

So, what would be a good upgrade for me? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Korg product - just a more recent workstation (not current) with 8+ multi-timbral, 128+ voices, with a big library of great natural and synth patches. I wouldn't mind if it was a rack mount unit either. Any suggestions?

I know some peeps may just say go to VSTs and Mainstage etc, but I just don't feel ready to start messing around with that tech yet. I just want a solid workstation that does everything I need, but with more power and better sounds that I can find used for a reasonable used price.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers,
Simon

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say pick up a Krome. You're already familiar with the interface, and it's the logical successor to the TR.

I owned a TR76 over a decade ago but upgraded to a Kurzweil PC3K8.

Still it was a very capable keyboard in its time.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question