Korg Trinity V3 battery replacement

Reaction score
The CR2032-HE2 battery is no longer available and I have a Trinity V3 that needs a replacement.
Can anybody advise what to use, or if there is a suitable battery holder that would allow for a standard CR2032?

Last edited:
Reaction score
the HE2 has more capacity than the normal CR2032 but since the Trinity came out in the 90's and you're just replacing the battery there should be no reason why the CR2032 won't suffice. You should get 5 years at least out of CR2032. If you put in a battery holder the replacement would take only a few minutes every 5 years.

Battery holders could be vertical or horizontal. Open up the Trinity and see what makes sense. I'm guessng the Trinity's battery is soldered to the board; you'd have to carefully unsolder the battery from the board and then solder in the battery holder. You might want to have a tech do this; too hot of a soldering iron could disrupt other components on the board. Better to let a professional do it for you and then from that point forward swapping out the battery could be done by you.

if you want to tackle the job yourself google "battery holder for cr2032"

Reaction score
the HE2 has more capacity than the normal CR2032 but since the Trinity came out in the 90's and you're just replacing the battery there should be no reason why the CR2032 won't suffice. You should get 5 years at least out of CR2032. If you put in a battery holder the replacement would take only a few minutes every 5 years.

Battery holders could be vertical or horizontal. Open up the Trinity and see what makes sense. I'm guessng the Trinity's battery is soldered to the board; you'd have to carefully unsolder the battery from the board and then solder in the battery holder. You might want to have a tech do this; too hot of a soldering iron could disrupt other components on the board. Better to let a professional do it for you and then from that point forward swapping out the battery could be done by you.

if you want to tackle the job yourself google "battery holder for cr2032"
Thanks for your reply Dave.

I could have been a bit more specific...the battery has 3 pins in a triangular formation that solder directly to the board. I'm assuming it's the HE2 from what I've read around the internet as there isn't actually anything printed on the battery aside from "Sony CR2032". I'm led to believe that 'HE2' denotes that it's a through hole PCB mount version of the CR2032.
My immediate thought was to drill the board and shoehorn in a standard CR2032 holder but, given the popularity of these keyboards, I was hoping to come across a more 'friendly' alternative, namely a direct replacement for the battery or a holder with the same pin configuration. I am, however, becoming increasingly aware that that is wishful thinking!
I have experience repairing and servicing electronics; I'm just trying to find out how others deal with this little battery caveat as this is the first time I've come across a PCB mount CR2032.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Google is your friend. IF you know the right question to ask it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Never mind; I didn't realise that there are holes in the PCB to accommodate the installation of a standard CR2032 socket.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW. Korg saved themselves a whole $0.15 per unit when they cheaped out on the part that the engineers designed into the PCB artwork. :p

Managers and bureaucrats will be the death of us all someday :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi,
CR2032 are readily available on Amazon and EBay, I always buy mine from there. Relatively inexpensive and so the job well.
I replaced mine in my Triton Extreme and Oasys 88 with no performance issues at all

Reaction score
Never mind; I didn't realise that there are holes in the PCB to accommodate the installation of a standard CR2032 socket.

I just bought a Korg Trinity Pro and will likely need to replace the battery soonish.
I would prefer installing a standard cr2032 battery holder for future-proofing.
Just to confirm, is this standard battery holder suitable in the sense does the motherboard come with premade holes for it?

Also, just to measure the current status of the battery, would it be safe to unplug it, open it and measure the battery with a multimeter?
And in such case, what would be a value considered low?

Many thanks!

Reaction score
I really don't know what I'm looking for I need to order a battery for my Trinity keyboard I just don't know what it looks like and I don't want to order it if it's wrong

Ask a Question