Korg X2 sequences to PC

Reaction score
I am writing some incidental music tracks for a doco DVD. I own an (ageing) Korg X2 Synth. I have sequenced my tracks on this, now I can't find how to get these onto my PC. I would prefer freeware.
I need to convert the files to MP3s which doesn't look a big problem except that I think the files on the X2 sequencer are SNG files. Also the X2 is so ancient it only takes floppies and its own special cards, not CDs or SD cards.
I don't own any recording /sequencing software, sound libraries or a recording interface yet, but I think I have a pretty good sound card & reasonably uptodate PC, so just wanting to find the simplest cheapest way to load my X2 sequences digitally so I can produce MP3 files. If necessary I may have to use sounds off software rather than the X2 keyboard, or maybe even resequence all my tracks on a software sequencer, but I would want to do this by playing my X2 as a controller. (Not step time or 'qwerty keyboard' recording).
As you can probably tell I am not hugely computer or sound engineering literate. Done a lot of searching on the net but still more confused than ever.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Many thanks!
ps I'm in Brisbane Australia so don't want to have to order stuff that would need to be shipped from the U.S.

Reaction score
You'll need a computer with a floppy drive. Check page 192 of the user manual (available on line at Korg) and save your X2 sequence files as "Standard Midi Files". According to the Korg manual, you can them load them into a PC via the floppy.
I don't know of any free sequencing software , but there is an inexpensive midi sequencing and audio recording program called Power Tracks that you might research. If it were me, I would just look for a freeware audio recording program and then record the playback of the sequences into your computer using audio. Don

Reaction score
thanks, that's one of the issues - who uses floppies?! Got rid of my floppy drive a while ago, wishing I'd kept it now! Thnx for advice and the suggestions tho, I have the manuals and will check out Power Tracks.

Also looking at Reaper, anyone used it - or similar? Recommendations?

Reaction score
yes, looking at Audacity, how does it go with recording direct from keyboard rather than audio? Would a midi to usb cable work as a connection?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, another freeware (upgrades will cost ya, but not too much) MIDI sequencer is Anvil Studio as well as an open source (Free as in Beer) GNU licensed program called Rosegarden that's been ported from Linux to Windows. (It's a bit tricky to use but there's some good tutorials on Youtube that will get you up to speed quickly)

Secondly, and more importantly, if all you need to do is create MP3's then all that you really need to do is send your synth's audio out to your computer soundcard's auxiliary line in and record your synth's tunes as WAV files. Any simple WAV recorder will do, even the ones bundled with Windows, or if you prefer all the bells and whistles of preprocessing use the also open source programs Audacity or Ardour to record the WAVs. Then find any freeware WAV to MP3 format converter and you're all done. Easy peasy. ;)

BTW, personally I use a small studio mixer to control my line levels between the keyboards and computer, but you can also plug standard 1/4" unbalanced line cords into a 1/4" to 1/16" stereo adapter plug to plug directly into your soundcard's line input. Just start off with the volume on your keyboard turned to zero and raise the volume levels incrementally until you reach a comfortable level on your computer's speakers.

BTW DO NOT USE THE HEADPHONE OUTPUT JACK UNLESS YOU DO SOME IMPEDANCE MATCHING. There's a HUGE difference between headphone levels and line levels and something WILL blow with that hookup.

Honestly though, if you're happy with sequencing on your keyboard, there's not any great need to learn any new software.

Personally I use the softwares and methods I outlined above to record my own MP3's but that's simply what I learned to start with and what I'm comfortable with.

YMMV ;)

Gary

Reaction score
hey thnx heaps for all that, V helpful!! The ol X2 sequencer has done ok for this job but need to update so will check out Anvil & Rosegarden. Any thoughts on Mixcraft & Dubturbo? Also looking at one of these Roland USB thingys http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-25/ - seen one 2nd hand for an ok price - includes a cakewalk package, but wondering I really need it. Might be useful if I need to record live instruments/vox?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
No experiences with Mixcraft or Dubturbo here. My setup is actually kinda old school.

I run a Linux Computer and sequence with Rosegarden running natively under Linux and and ancient version (9.01) of Cakewalk Home Studio running also under Linux under Wine.

I can say that the Cakewalk sequencers are very nice, very stable software and well worth the money.

Anyway, as for the USB sound module, I've never really felt the need to invest in one. Plus you have to consider factors like Driver Compatibility and built in obsolescence.

On the hardware end of my home studio I'm running a Korg TR76 with Sampler option installed, a Casio XW-P1 VA Synth, a couple of cheap dynamic microphones, one running to the Korg Sampler and the other thru a TC Helicon Voicetone Synth with Vocoder and Autotune (An incredibly fun little gadget if I do say so myself :D ) All pumped thru a cheapo Behringer
Xenyx 10 Channel Studio Mixer and output simultaneously to a pair of M-Audio studio monitors and at the same time my onboard computer soundcard, a nothing special onboard Intel soundchip.

With this setup I can set and forget all of my levels and patches and just start playing and recording with the press of a few buttons.

Honestly I think you'd be better off just buying a good quality studio mixer (Whatever size fits your needs) and save your money on the USB audio crap because within 5 to 10 years I guarantee you it will become obsolete and impossible to find drivers for and it really won't make your WAV and MP3 recordings sound any better. If you're really anal about squeezing out perfect sound quality from your rig or your onboard soundchip is noisy, just invest in a good quality internal soundcard like an OEM Soundblaster or a Turtle Beach or whatever else is hot these days ;)

That's just my $0.02 worth ;)

Gary

[EDIT]

Here's the Mixer I use. http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp...artPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

The first one I got was DOA which according to my understanding is pretty common with Behringer stuff cause they are the bargain basement brand of music electronics, however, the vendor was more than happy to eat the cost of the retrun shipping and RMAed me a new one ASAP.

Ever since then it's been smooth sailing :)

[2nd EDIT]

I tried to upload a snippet of one of my tunes to give you some perspective, but the site won't allow anything over a meg to go thru apparently and I haven't really got anyplace on the web ATM to share my music on, but basically unless you are looking for laboratory reference quality, you don't have to worry too much about hardware unless you really feel the urge to spend big buxxx. :D :D :D

Chances are anyway your synth introduces more noise into the loop than most modern computer soundcards ;)

Ask a Question