korg x50 split

Reaction score
Hi all, it has been a while since I visited the forum and also since I played the keys in a band, but I want to get started again.
Now, one of the things I rather hate about keyboard playing is that one has to be some sort of computer magician to get things working.....
I have searched the internet for an answer to my question but could only find a youtube tutorial in spanish, that was not helpfull to me. The korg manual was not very helpful either.

I want to make a SPLIT on the x50 and the manual doesn't make sence to me.

I would like to have drawbars on the left part (A000) and brass on the right (D118)

All the examples in the manual state that I have to go into combi start and than choose my sounds, but my sounds are not in the combi banks. Than it says there should be timbres somewhere, can't find those.

Is there a SIMPLE way to make such a split?
Grateful for suggestions!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Enter Combi mode and first select the Combi you wish to ovrwrite. There are no blank user slots on an X50.

Then hit the Menu button and the Timbre and MIDI assign menus will pop up.

You do all your edits from those menus.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary thanks for your reply. I have managed to choose one that I can do without :)
Now the challenge begins. When I go into that zone called timber param I should be able to edit that? I really don't see how....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just took a look at my X50 again.

First off to create a split you'll have to edit the menu Keyzone and set your splitpoint and zones.

Then you go to the Timbre menu and edit the actual voices for each zone.

The only controls you need to use are the Page +, and Page - and the Jog Wheel and the Menu/OK and Exit buttons.

Then use the Utility Button to write the Global settings when you're done and you'll be able to save.

I'm sorry I can't spell it out for you exactly step by step but I really don't want to mess up any of my combis experimenting for you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary thanks again, I can imagine you don't want to mess up your stuff, and it is some comfort to me that I am apparently not the only one struggling with this haha!
I will give it one more try, if nothing succeeds, I will just stick to my presets in the 1 to 0 buttons, and quickly change between 1 and 2 in that particular song.... Very proud of myself that I managed to store some favorite sounds under those buttons! I love all the sounds of the x50 but the programming is really too complicated for my old brain :-(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe you could borrow a friend's laptop just to do the edit and save?

Or is there a windows emulator for Mac that might work?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I don't think anyone still uses xp or vista but I could ask around

Reaction score
okay, the keyzone is not complicated. It is the timbre zone that doesn't make any sense to me. I want to make changes to combi 2. I enter the timbre zone. I can change all sorts of things, but not enter the sound itself. It is now in D073 strings, I cannot enter the zone where that is written (bottom) to change into A000 full drawbars that I want to be there. The manual only states enter this or enter that, but not HOW to enter such things.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
AH!!!

I just checked.

It's the Tone Adjust Menu you use and NOT the Timbre Menu to alter the individual voices.

And as for the software, AFAIR it runs just fine under Windows 7 and probably under 8 or 10 as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
WOW thank you so much! I did it!!! Even managed to store the combination under favorite nr 0

Ask a Question