Korg X50 vs Korg PS60 vs Yamaha MM6

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have read lots of interesting posts here about Korg X50 and how good it is in comparison with, let’s say, Roland Juno Di. What would you say, however, about Korg PS60 and Yamaha MM6? The thing is, my budget is $900 and I have there three options: Korg X50 ($900), Korg PS60 ($830) and Yamaha MM6 ($800). Your advice will be more accurate if I tell you that I intend to use my new acquisition together with my two old synthesizers – Korg X5 and Roland SC-88, so I do not really want to double some features, if there are any. For that reason, I kind of feel like buying Yamaha, since I already have a Korg (even though it is 15 years old), but still your advice will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. J

Reaction score
Well... To be honest, each from those 3 keyboards is very different compared to the other 2.

Korg X50 is identical to the korg TR except it's even cheaper built and it doesn't have a sequencer. All sounds, combis (8 sounds together, mixed, layered, split across the keyboard), effects, arpeggios, features - are exactly the same.

Compared to the other 2, one might say it has most to offer - IF you know how to program it. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated :)

Now the MM6 and the PS60 are much more simple - and don't offer in depth programming (especially the MM6).

So if comparing these 2, it comes down to weather you want the Motif sounds, or the new Korg sounds.

MM6 offers most of the Motif classic sounds, but you cannot layer more then 2 sounds at once, nor split more than 2 sounds (well, 3 if you count 2 layered sounds on the right + 1 split on the left).

The PS60 offers sounds from the M50, you can layer up to 6 sounds at once, but only 1 from a single cathegory.

So if you want to layer 2 strings - you can't do it (you "layer" the sounds by pressing the ON buttons underneath each section. If you want a piano/strings sound, you select a piano, then strings , and just press the 2 ON buttons underneath the piano/strings sections)

Basically it's like this...

If you just want to expand your sound library without many options of splitting
layering etc... Go for the MM6.

If you wan a bit more options, but still don't want to mess with the programing
and just be able to access sounds quickly - go for the PS60

If you know how/want to program your own sounds, and be able to split/layer a lot of soudns the way YOU want - go for the X50.

Hope I helped :)

Reaction score
Thanks! I believe it helped. Basically, I want all of it - expanding my library, accessing new sounds quickly and do some programming. But my old X5 helps me with the programming (OK, in a very old way, but still), while my SC-88 is pretty much OK with accessing sounds. Should I expand my library with Motif-like sounds, then? :) By the way, keyboard-wise, people complain that X5 has a very cheap keyboard. What would you say about the keyboard of the other two, especially MM6? Thanks! :)

Reaction score
All 3 are cheap keyboards with cheap keybeds. I think the MM6 has the same keybed as every low entry PSR keayboard. I'd say it's a little less plasticky and a bit more rubbery then the one on korg.

But you should go and try all of them yourself

Reaction score
Korg X50 is identical to the korg TR except it's even cheaper built and it doesn't have a sequencer.

The X50 is missing more from the TR than just the sequencer... at least aftertouch and the sampling option.

Now the MM6 and the PS60 are much more simple - and don't offer in depth programming

I think the PS60 has all the same "program" programming functionality as the X50 (though not the equivalent "combi" programming functionality). However, the deeper programming has to be done from a computer, only more basic programming can be done from the front panel.

Reaction score
The X50 is missing more from the TR than just the sequencer... at least aftertouch and the sampling option.

TR doesn't have a sampler - not unless you buy the expansion board (if you want to sample yourself), and the extra RAM (if you just want to load some available samples).

Not sure about AT... but yea, i think you're right

Reaction score
TR doesn't have a sampler - not unless you buy the expansion board (if you want to sample yourself), and the extra RAM (if you just want to load some available samples).
That's why I called it a sampling option. It's something you can add to the TR that you cannot add to the X50.

I think the TR 76 is especially nice... even apart from its sounds... there are not too many places you can find a 76-key 8-zone MIDI controller with aftertouch that weighs just 20 pounds!

Ask a Question