Kronos or Nord Stage 2

Reaction score
Hello,
I have to change my old keyboard (Fatar SL-880 + 2 EMU ESI 4000). I play pop of the 70/80, classical (pipe organ and piano), "progressive music" as Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, Caravan ... and blues.
I will probably (certainly?) play live again. So, the weight, the reliability and the solidity are very important criterias. I need very good sounds of ... keyboards: piano, electric piano, organs, synths, mellotrons ...
I won't use it for playing trumpet, guitar (I play it too) or anything else. Maybe strings, but not often.
I want also a semi-weighted keyboard (73 or 76).
I've watched a lot of demos, readed tons of comments (making me avoiding Kurzweil because of too many bad comments).
So, my final candidates are the Korg Kronos and the Clavia Nord Stage 2.
I've worked with computers during 35 years, so, the "complexity" of the Kronos may not be a problem for me if ... it's not one while playing live!
In my opinion, the best one would be a mix of those two engines.
But I can't afford only one and I have to choose.
The Kronos has a 2015 version and ... a NS3 could come one of these days. This would not be friendly.
And I think there is something special with those keyboards, because it's quite impossible to find an objective advice, owners of each brand saying this one is the best ... that's all, folks!
So, may some nice people explain me clearly the +/- of those two keyboards, which one should I buy and why (not only the colour, I like the red but it doesn't help in playing music!)?
Your comments, advices and experiments could help me a lot.
Thanks to everyone.
Best regards.
François from Normandy.

Reaction score
I don't think I have played a Korg since the O1W ProX, but I recently played the NS2 and I am in love with it. Its all about sound for me. I thought my Motif had the best Clavis and electric pianos, but the Nord is in a class all of its own. Easy to use too. The only thing I did not like is the tiny display.
If pianos, Rhodes, Wurlys and B3s are your thing, you have to hear this thing in person. I want one more than ever.

Reaction score
François, The Korg 76 is Hammer Action, but the 66 keys are semi weighted and the Nord Stage 2 73 is semi weighted and the Nord stage 2 76 is Hammer Action so that will come into your equation on what you want to get too.

Allan

Reaction score
Hello,
My choice is done: the Kronos 2 will be at home around one month.
I like a lot of things in the Tyros. Some are details, like the movable screen able to display scores, setlist or anything else. But the sounds of the Kronos are equal or better than those of the NS2. Particularly the pianos and I still play classic.
I had a TX81Z and a DX7. The sounds of the Tyros are good but not fantastic. Yamaha, that's else ...
The Kronos is said to be unusable because of its complextiy and ergonomy. I've tested NS2, Tyros and Kronos in a superb shop 45 km from home. Better than in Paris. The boss made me a tour of each synth, not exhaustive, but complete, give me headphones (an other customer was trying a guitar near there) and let me test myself the time that I wanted (he was knowing that I was here for buying. And it's not possible in Paris because ... too many people).
He didn't try to influence me. And I've turned for the Kronos because I think it's the best for me.
A thing about the ergonomy: it may look very complex. Yes, it is. But it was done by people working in computers with that spirit, not by musicians. I'm now retired, but I was researcher in computers. It helps a lot! I didn't know the Kronos, but I've never been lost.
The new band is just beginning. I will not play the same pieces with them and at home. We will not tour, but play in pubs or in local events. And, of course, at the "fête de la musique".
My actual instruments were buyed in 2000. I had enough time for saving money. I ever did like that, when I buy a new keyboard, I think that I will change it one day. For the guitars, it's different, four of my six are dating from the mid seventies and are still perfect. My bass is a Aria A-200. Still running well too!
Thanks for all.
François from Normandy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,
I've forgotten, the Tyros keyboard doesn't looks serious for such a price. The one of the Kronos is weighted but not like an acoustic piano or, eve, my Fatar which is very heavy. The Kronos keyboard looks comfortable for playing organ or synth sounds. And I think they have solved their problems with it now!
Best regards.
François from Normandy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Bonne chance avec votre choix Francois. J'espere votre musique sera belle et satisfait pour vous et toute le monde qui attende. :D

Salut bien du Canada,

Gary ;)

Ask a Question