Kurzweil Forte booting problem?

Reaction score
Hello!
I have just bought an used Kurzweil Forte and now wondering if it is normal to boot for app. 1 minute (v4.0)? I couldn't find any information regarding this case. Once Kurz even stucked showing "Loading..." and I had to turn it off and restart. Do you have any issues like this? Otherwise, everything works fine.
Best regards,
alexm

Reaction score
Welcome.

Not having a Kurz all I can suggest is generic possible solutions.

Backup user data.

Backup operating system.

Update OS or reinstall current version.

Perform a factory reset.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Slow boot times are not unusual for modern keyboard workstations.

My PC3K8 takes about 30 seconds to boot.

The Korg Kronos takes almost a FULL 3 MINUTES!!!!

The Forte has Gigs of memory compared to the PC3K's Megs.

Don't worry about the boot time.

It's normal.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
When the Forte was first introduced I distinctly remember reading that it booted somewhere between 15-20 seconds. I would clear all the memory and reinstall the operating system.

See patent # us8263849. Kurzweil is "streaming" from Flash memory. They talk about flash being too slow, normally. for real-time music purposes. And how they use buffers to bring in datas from flash in a random access method. I believe they're talking about more common, less expensive flash. Yamaha made a point with the Motif XF that they had to acquire/develop fast flash (and it ain't cheap). This gives Kurzweil a huge advantage over Yamaha and Nord. They can use cheaper, slower but much higher capacity (16GB today). In comparison, the Kronos also streams but from SSD. The advantage being 128GB-256GB SDDs aren't that expensive and are user installable. The downside is load times which evidently Kurzweil doesn't have because of flash.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did what you recommended - I reinstalled OS and now it starts noticeably faster. Thanks!
BUT I have another question: I tried yesterday to upload wav samples into Forte (by USB computer connection) and it was VERY SLOW. Is there any way to speed up this process? I have also Elektron Digitakt and difference is like HUGE.

Reaction score
There are WAV files and there are WAV files.

How they are encoded can make a great difference, check the Kursweil spec for WAV files and compare it to the files you are trying to transfer

Does the Forte have a SD card socket or a socket for a USB memory stick, if it does then this may be a faster method?

Reaction score
" ..I tried yesterday to upload wav samples into Forte (by USB computer connection) and it was VERY SLOW.."
Contact (e-mail address removed) Provide your:

Model (Forte)
OS version (4.0)
method used to upload wav samples (USB computer connection)
size of wav file
load time in minutes
Let them know that you just reloaded the operating system, i.e. you started with a fresh operating system reload

They will tell you if the load time for uploading wav samples is normal. Also ask them if there is a preferred method of uploading wav sample (ex. USB stick or some other method) rather than the USB computer connection to gain upload speed.

Ask a Question