Kurzweil Mark 10 Ensamble Grand

Reaction score
Hello,

I aquired a Kurzweil Mark 10 Ensamble Grand piano. While it still works it needs a lot of plastics work and I really just want to sell it. I really do not wnat to throw it out. Does anyone know where I can get a plastics kit for it maybe? Or I suppose it should be sold for parts at this point. I'm not even sure where to sell it or where I might be able to get rid of it other than local places here like Craigslist. However one of the sides the plastic cracked and shattered the plastics are pretty brittle on it. It has a lot of other plastics damage and the power switch has been replaced with a huge toggle type. Anyhow any help would be appreciated. I found this place via google anyway.

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you below this post in the similar threads section you'll see a mutitude of posts of mark 10's with various issues. Parts are impossible to find. Rather than disposing of the unit it might make sense to part it out and sell the parts on ebay or someplace similar. This way you make a little money and you would satisfy other users who can no longer find parts to revive their broken units. Win/win all the way around.

You could also sell or ship your unit to sam mims at syntaur.com who runs an online parts facility. I'm sure he'd take it off your hands so that he could make money parting it out and selling the parts.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Or if you're lazy and want to do a good deed for the community, then ship it to Instrumentalparts.com, syntaur.com or fullcompass.com

All of these companies supply parts to the community but don't hold your breath for big bux.

Chances are they would just reimburse you for the shipping.

And WHY OH WHY does every idiot who wants to sell a keyboard on the this forum neglect to mention what part of Planet Earth they are from?

The "Inter" in "Internet" stands for International these days.,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the additional information. I did forget to mention where I am located that is true. I'm here in Wilsonville Oregon. I'm actually amazed I had any responses to my post!. I'd be happy for $50 over the cost of shipping the unit, however it'll probably cost more than the parts are worth for a 1993 unit in shipping which is a problem in and of itself.

I'll check in with the places that were mentioned.

Besides we all know how frustrated musicians get so why was it made out of such brittle plastics??

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures of the beast!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
After 30 years try and bend a star trek action figure without breaking it :)

Most plastics are chemically indestructible but physically the resins tend to dry out and become brittle and crumble into dust.

Did you know that the top 3 cm of ALL the world's oceans are actually a slurry of decomposed plastics?

Enjoy that surf n turf mate :)

Anyway, you'd be surprised how much a vintage keyboard can be parted out for.

88 keys at $4 to $10 a key for instance.

Working and tested circuit boards can fetch a few hundred each.

As for some of the plastic parts I'm surprised nobody is using 3D printing in the business.

Brand new parts made to order from a scanned original.

Pots and switches are standard stuff that can still be had from factories.

Don't kid yourself. A lot of vintage keyboard owners want the experience of restoring their favorite instruments.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,

Awesome information and thanks for the quick response I appreciate your time in responding. I was thinking the same thing about 3D printing and I don't know why the parts are not being 3D Printed for the plastics! I think this is a pretty rare unit but then again maybe not. I've contacted at least one of the places you mentioned I would be happy with $50 over the cost of shipping.

I was wondering if either of the piano places near me in Portland would be interested in taking it off my hands BUT I suspect they are strictly new/regular non-electric piano style places for what they refurbish but I should check.

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
3D printing is still a pretty new option but there are plenty of prototyping companies out there who'd print up an entire set of keys for a few bux apiece as long as you supply them with CAD coordinates.

It's creating the CAD file that costs an arm and a leg.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello,

True I agree with you there, but the keys are not a problem on this the top plastics are all broken up and where the power cord plugs in the plastics are broken and one speaker is no longer mounted as the plastics broke.

I just need this thing out of my shop for some money! Even $50 after shipping is FINE.

It was gifted to me by a customer along with a 14 inch diameter telescope... anyhow I do computer repair and IT services here and sell stuff on eBay but I can't see selling this beast on eBay.

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Best to sell to the guys I mentioned.

If you put it up on ebay they are probably your first customers anyway.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually, if it's still actually working, electrically, and the problems are entirely cosmetic, there are circuit bending DIY types out there who'd want it for experimentation. $50 plus actual shipping costs sounds just about right. Not to mention the owner of a similar unit who simply needs a part.

I think you'll move that unit pretty quickly.

You have underestimated the market.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hello,

I sure hope I underestimated the market. I'll be happy to get rid of it for what I mentioned. I contacted at least one of the companies you mentioned and I will contact the other later on.

I really appreciate the help.

Looks like I chose the right place to post!

Thanks!

Ask a Question