kurzweil Mark 10

Reaction score
Is there any PC software that will let me download a floppy disc from my keyboard to my PC running windows XP?

Reaction score
What you're after "I think" is some way of transferring SYSEX data. Most DAW / sequencer software packages should manage it, but you'd need to check with them specifically, and also check if the synth itself can transmit SYSEX information.

Reaction score
I want to take the floppy disc out of my Kurzweil and put it into my computer drive and play the music on my media player on my PC.

Reaction score
I want to take the floppy disc out of my Kurzweil and put it into my computer drive and play the music on my media player on my PC.

If your computer doesn't have a floppydrive (most don't have them anymore) you can buy a external floppydrive that you connect to an USB port on the computer. The computer will recognize it as Drive A or B.
They cost around 20 to 30 US$. Or you can look on EBay for cheaper offers.
That's how I transferred my old floppy's to a computer and from there to an USB-stick to be used on a newer keyboard without a floppydrive.

BTW If you don't know this: Your recorded songs are in midi-format and midi sounds BAD on a computer unless you have a special soundcard. That is because the soundcard is limited to the 127 General Midi voices. Most keyboards do have much more than that. Just as a warning so don't be disappointed. Midi is not sound but a 'language' to give the keyboard instructions what to do and how.

Hope this helps you and answers the question.
Regards
DickR - Bali

Reaction score
Ohhhh forgot....... Senior moment I guess.
You need a midiplayer to be able to listen to your midi's. Many for free to download from Internet. VanBasco's Midiplayer is one of them and very good.

Reaction score
Ohhhh forgot....... Senior moment I guess.
You need a midiplayer to be able to listen to your midi's. Many for free to download from Internet. VanBasco's Midiplayer is one of them and very good.

Now that is the path I want to go down. My computer does have a floppy drive and I am running Windows XP pro. I have downloaded files from my Kurzweil to my computer but they are undf file format and none of my music player software can open that format. I will download this midiplayer and maybe that will solve my problem. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Now that is the path I want to go down. My computer does have a floppy drive and I am running Windows XP pro. I have downloaded files from my Kurzweil to my computer but they are undf file format and none of my music player software can open that format. I will download this midiplayer and maybe that will solve my problem. Thank you very much.

As mainly a Yamaha enthousiast, I don't know anything about a Kurzweil keyboard and my answer was and is in general. Can you see the files on your computer? What happens if you change the extension (whatever it is if not midi) to midi and save it under a different name. I take it that it is recorded in (a sort of) midi-format but really don't know.

I hope someone with more knowledge about your Kurzweil files read this and knows the answer.

DickR

Reaction score
Thanks DickR. The files download onto my computer and show up as UNDF files. None of my media player software can open this type of file. My keyboard is MIDI and it accepts sound discs from the Yamaha sound library. I think the easy way for me to get the job done is to hook a CD or DVD recorder to my keyboard and the load songs to my computer via mpeg files. The reason for all these questions is that I sang in a quartet for about 5 years and I did all the background music for us on my Kerzweil and recorded it onto a dat recorder and that made the music part simple. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Thanks DickR. The files download onto my computer and show up as UNDF files. None of my media player software can open this type of file. My keyboard is MIDI and it accepts sound discs from the Yamaha sound library. I think the easy way for me to get the job done is to hook a CD or DVD recorder to my keyboard and the load songs to my computer via mpeg files. The reason for all these questions is that I sang in a quartet for about 5 years and I did all the background music for us on my Kerzweil and recorded it onto a dat recorder and that made the music part simple. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

I understand the frustration! Strange about these files. Recording MUSIC (not MIDI) from keyboard to computer to be able to make a CD or so:
You can use a cable usually a normal STEREO jackplug to a mini stereo jackplug from keybaord HEADPHONE OUT to LINE IN on the computer. If you don't have a recording program go to
www.audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download audacity and lame.
Lame files should be placed in the SAME folder as Audacity! Lame is needed if you want to save your songs as MP3-files like most of us do.

These programs are free and a lot of people use them.
If you need more info about this send me a mailaddres and I will send you a step by step letter (it's to big for the forum and contains pictures) how to record your songs to be able to make a good quality CD or something similar.

I don't know what happened but the font has changed...... The message is the same :D

Reaction score
I understand the frustration! Strange about these files. Recording MUSIC (not MIDI) from keyboard to computer to be able to make a CD or so:
You can use a cable usually a normal STEREO jackplug to a mini stereo jackplug from keybaord HEADPHONE OUT to LINE IN on the computer. If you don't have a recording program go to
www.audacity.sourceforge.net/ and download audacity and lame.
Lame files should be placed in the SAME folder as Audacity! Lame is needed if you want to save your songs as MP3-files like most of us do.

These programs are free and a lot of people use them.
If you need more info about this send me a mailaddres and I will send you a step by step letter (it's to big for the forum and contains pictures) how to record your songs to be able to make a good quality CD or something similar.

I don't know what happened but the font has changed...... The message is the same :D

Ok. Now that is exactly what I want. My keyboard has stereo out RCA jacks for recording. audacity sounds like it might be what I've been searching for. My snail mail is Mike Schug, 501W. Baldwin, Paragould, AR 72450. And thank you very very much.

Reaction score
Ok. Now that is exactly what I want. My keyboard has stereo out RCA jacks for recording. audacity sounds like it might be what I've been searching for. My snail mail is Mike Schug, 501W. Baldwin, Paragould, AR 72450. And thank you very very much.

Sorry, misunderstanding. I need an email-address to send it. If you still online give it to me and I send the file in return. It is 10.25 hrs here in Bali.:)

Reaction score
Sorry, misunderstanding. I need an email-address to send it. If you still online give it to me and I send the file in return. It is 10.25 hrs here in Bali.:)

Ok. That would be (e-mail address removed). Thank you some more.

Reaction score
"UNDF" means "undefined" file format. Or, your computer cannot recognize what file(s) is on the floppy disk, Since the floppy was created on a Kurzweil, it is most likely that the Kurzweil file type is not one that compatible with the Windows operating system. That is to say, the floppy file can only be read by the Kurzweil operating system, UNLESS it is on a formated disk compatible with Windows and
is a file type "mid", or "MP3" etc that media player can play. Hope this helps...Don

Reaction score
The Mark 10 uses a modified MIDI format. The files are saved as .SNG (for song), not .MID (for standard midi). SNG files are basically midi files with some extra header information inside the file. Kurweil provided a conversion program for the Mark 10 (and Mark 5). I had to run it from the DOS command on my Windows 98 machine (its been quite while though. Not sure if it will work on XP or greater. I'll have to see if I have a copy of the binary. The Kurzweil support group did send me a copy several years ago, but thier tech who wrote it is long gone and there is no support.

Ask a Question