Kurzweil PC88 no longer starts. Low Battery?

Reaction score
Hey, so I have this Kurzweil PC88 collecting dust since a few years now and recently started playing again. Worked great, only thing worrying me was that every time I powered it on, the LED screen displayed "Battery Low", which was weird bc I have it connected to the socket constantly. I didn't even know it was portable tbh.

But I thought it probably once had a portable battery, but that one's broken now and that's why it doesn't load and is always empty or "low".

But today, after a few weeks of playing, it won't start properly. When I power it on, all the buttons flash red three times and the LED screen shines, but is empty. No idea if that could be connected to the "Battery Low" message or if it's something else entirely.

I don't quite know what to do from here on and google couldn't help me either, so I thought maybe you guys could.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Contact Kurzweil support. They are fantastic about out of warranty support. Slow, but thorough.

Or ask the Sysadmin over at https://ksetlist.com/

He actually works for Kurzweil and he's been around a loooong time.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The PC88 is extremely old technology. User settings and such are stored on battery backed ram. The low battery isn't because the keyboard runs on batteries, it is telling you the battery that backs up the programs and settings when the keyboard is turned off is dying. So you'll need to replace the battery then re-evaluate whether that is the cause of it now not starting up. See this article:

Reaction score
Will you lose any factory settings when you change the battery. I have a pc88mx that needs a new battery and I don't want to lose anything factory patches.

Ask a Question