Kurzweil PC88mx Software freezing

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post here. I happened upon a Kurzweil PC88mx that hadn't been touched in years.
I've cleaned it up, replaced the battery, bought a power supply, and it's now working mostly normally...
I seem to be able to play it as a Piano with no problem. But if I, say, scroll through sounds rather quickly, there will be a slight pop, and then the whole thing freezes. I cannot select anything else, and I have no sound.

I performed a hard reset, and ran the CPU check (which resulted in a pass) but the issue still persists.
Anything else you might suggest to try?
I dont have any worry of soldering new electronics on, I'm skilled enough to do that myself.

Reaction score
The Kurzweil site usually provides directions; as an example, see this link for the PC3 model:

https://kurzweil.com/pc3/#downloads

page down to OS Updates. There is a file called PC3 V2.21 update. that file is a zip file which contains these objects in the file:

1642623407281.png

Not sure if the PC88MX has this or not. If not you would then need to contact Kurzweil in order to retrieve the installation instructions.

Ask a Question