Kurzweil pc88mx with no sound

Reaction score
I have an older Kurzweil pc88mx that when I turn it on there is sound, but only for about 3 seconds. it seems to die off. if I turn it off and on again, the same thing happens. does that possibly indicate a battery problem?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Possibly a blown output transistor with thermal disconnection of the internal lead as it warms up. Do you have alternate outputs on your Kurz? Also what happens when you try headphones?

Gary

Reaction score
freaky thing just happened. I wasn't sure about the alt outputs so I opened the case (with the instrument vertical, because it's so heavy and hard to handle) and checked the back panel. tested the headphones (which I couldn't swear on last night that I did) and it worked fine. now I've laid it out in playing position, tested it again and all is well (at least for right now). I don't think I trust it, yet. i'll take down the equally heavy m-audio keystation and test out the Kurzweil. thanks for your response since it made me try it one more time. something isn't quite right, but I know at least it could work.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, prolly not a thermal fault then. More likely a loose or oxidized connector or bad solder joint on a connector.

I'd suggest opening it up and unplugging and replugging the internal connectors like the ribbon cables and taking a good close look at the audio output jacks for any bad solder connections.

Gary

Ask a Question