Laptop in live gigs?

Reaction score
Hi, talking about live sounds for gigging I hear "with a laptop you can get the best sounds ever" a LOT. Everyone advices to get a laptop and a midi controller, but noone seems to be able to answer me when I ask about specific models, brands or software (that WONT crash during the gig!)

Do you happen to actually USE a laptop or similar in live gigs? Or may be you know something about it and will like to tell me about, because I dont know a thing about this.
Im looking for a good model of a laptop thats stable and power enough to deliver nice piano sounds and not chrashing during a live situation. Leave your thoughts! THANKS ! :)

Reaction score
The Dell Latitude is a commercial grade laptop that is affordable. Get one with at least a core i3 proccessor; core i5 or i7 is best, and at least 2GB of RAM - 4GB is way better. Make certain you get Windows 7 on it.

I'm the tech director for an organization of about 500 people, and I deploy a lot of laptops. My experience has been the Latitude series are physically more durable, and require less tech support for user problems than other brands I have used.

What I tell people that ask me for advice on a laptop purchase is "you can't go wrong with a Dell Latitude".

The Dell Inspirons are OK, but they're consumer grade - not pro grade like the Latitude. There are other commercial grade laptops available - from the HP Pro Elitebook, to the Panasonic Toughbook, however, the Latitudes have worked really well for me.

You can see my Latitude in the background of the video I attached below.

Hope this helps.

- Jim

Reaction score
If your going to use a laptop live (and i know this will spark controversy) but go Mac! and mainstage (part of the logic suite) will work plus you can buy whatever virtual instruments afterwards.

Reaction score
Did just over 100 gigs on a laptop plus midi controller. Back to hardware after the second crash.

Hardware for live/gigging, software for recording.

Good companies/brands (that I've purchased from) -
Native Instruments
Sonivox
Truepianos

NI do a cut down free version of their Kore software, Sonivox and Truepianos have usable demos.

Lots of free stuff available too - ask over at KVR. Post back if it's just strings/EP/organ you are looking for - I can suggest some inexpensive options.

Reaction score
I have to agree. Don't depend on a laptop as your only source for gigging. I have an older Dell Latitude I used for VST organs, but do have a Yamaha Motif to fall back on
if the laptop ever crashes.
Don

Ask a Question