Laptop setup for live gigs + sequencing

Reaction score
I've been researching for the past few days and would like a check-in to see where I might be off track on my idea for a laptop setup. My needs are:

1. better live gig set-up for keys - (currently I midi together a Kurzweil k2000 with a Roland VK8 and XV5050. It's imperfect to say the least and as you'll see I'm looking for an upgrade to the overall setup.)
2. home setup for composing & arranging

It looks to me I can fit both needs with a laptop setup. I have some money to invest and this is what I have come up with:

Hardware:
-Macbook pro with i5 2.4ghz processor, 8Gb ram, firewire port, 500Gb 7200rpm HD.
-Audiofire2 analog/midi interface

Software:
-Logic Studio 2
-Komplete 7
-Sibelius 6

For my live needs, I am hoping I can use Logic Studio's Mainstage to run my patch changes (of which I do a ton of) and I would go down to one keyboard controller with a split point. It's possible I can get away with using the VI's and synth provided in the same software, but I have read that Native Instruments' Komplete 7 is the way to go.

The part I'm least secure about is the interface - I'm not sure if I need a separate MIDI interface from the controller to the mac, or if that info gets translated through the firewire port. Basically - does the same firewire port both receive midi data and send audio? I believe I only get one firewire port so I'm not sure what to do if that is not the case.

I have read also some concerns about laptop's crashing on live performance - I think that Mac is the way to go for stability and hopefully having way more power than is needed to run the setup, really I only need to power patch changes there is no live sequencing so I think I am probably ok. I would still have a backup hardware synth for worse case scenario. I'm not too worried about gear getting toppled on stage either, at least I will take precautions and it's a pretty mature band.

For my studio needs I think I'm set but my only other concern is whether I have a comfortable amount of RAM. It's hard to think 8Gb is not enough but the 3 different software programs recommend 2Gb each and I always think I want to have twice that available.

I would love any suggestions and concerns about anything I'm missing, alternate setup suggestions, etc. Thanks much!

Reaction score
Your current live set-up looks good to me.

I went down the laptop and controller route but am now back to all hardware for live gigs. Still use VIs for recording.

You asked for suggestions:
(1) Maybe also consider a Receptor with Komplete preinstalled instead of the laptop for live stuff
(2) Post this over at the Gearslutz forum. You should get a big response. They love spending money over there.

Reaction score
That's a good video Burn4Him.

So there you have it OP - if I'm playing in a Church it's at a wedding or a recital of some sort. That guy looks like he works a whole different scene than me. I do pubs, clubs, theatres, corporate functions - cover bands, music theatre shows, acoustic folk stuff (still big enough to need to be amplified).

If I could justify the cost - I'd have two Receptors (one as a backup). Laptops are more robust than desktops but those Receptors have the audio in/outs midi in/outs built in. They're also portable enough to take on a plane and rent a hardware keyboard wherever you're going.

Or stick to all hardware if you're not flying all over the place, you don't have a dedicated keyboard tech, and any of your gigs are to audiences where alcohol is involved.

Good luck with your purchases.

Ask a Question