Latency when recording video+audio together

Reaction score
Hi guys, on my roland keyboard, my phone-out goes to alesis linelink, audio converted to digital and goes to laptop usb. I used windows 10 built-in "camera" app to record audio and video simultaneously. It works like a charm since last year.
A couple months back, I tried exact same set of equipment on my yamaha e353. The only difference was I enabled laptop onboard soundcard to playback the audio (coz e353 only has one audio out, so I can't hear my play). This introduced latency for playback and recording.
In another post, you guys gave me gr8 advice on how to record midi, but i thought this method would record video&audio same time, really convenient. Any advice on removing latency on this method? thanks a lot.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Latency can come from many things, and can never be eliminated, only reduced. But it's my understanding that the type of latency you're experiencing is primarily due to the sound card and the way the operating system is handling the audio. If the sound card you're using doesn't have an ASIO driver, you might want to install the free ASIO4ALL driver, as it could dramatically improve your results. You might also need to play around a bit with the settings of the ASIO4ALL driver, especially the buffer size (smaller = better).

EDIT-- http://asio4all.com/

EDIT #2-- By the way, if you aren't using a USB audio interface that includes a headphones jack for monitoring purposes, you might want to buy an audio splitter so you can plug some headphones (or external speakers, etc.) into your PSR-E353 while the LineLink is also plugged in. Just be sure you get 1/4" male TRS to dual 1/4" female TRS; you do not want TRS to dual TS.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=1/4 male trs to dual 1/4 female trs

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you
Latency can come from many things, and can never be eliminated, only reduced. But it's my understanding that the type of latency you're experiencing is primarily due to the sound card and the way the operating system is handling the audio. If the sound card you're using doesn't have an ASIO driver, you might want to install the free ASIO4ALL driver, as it could dramatically improve your results. You might also need to play around a bit with the settings of the ASIO4ALL driver, especially the buffer size (smaller = better).

EDIT-- http://asio4all.com/

EDIT #2-- By the way, if you aren't using a USB audio interface that includes a headphones jack for monitoring purposes, you might want to buy an audio splitter so you can plug some headphones (or external speakers, etc.) into your PSR-E353 while the LineLink is also plugged in. Just be sure you get 1/4" male TRS to dual 1/4" female TRS; you do not want TRS to dual TS.

Thank you for the detailed reply, as always!.

The asio4all, I installed it, but I don't see it in the bottom right of my screen (the tray area), not sure if its active. Also windows 10 camera app doesn't have place I can select ASIO...
Regarding the splitter. I'm already using one splitter to plug linelink in. Would it be ok to use two level of spliters? (First level split for headphone+linelink; second level split for linelink L+R)?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, I think you should be able to plug a splitter into a splitter.

I hadn't considered that you might have trouble selecting ASIO4ALL. If you were using a DAW, you'd select it within the DAW. What program did you say you're using to record-- what's the name of the app?

Reaction score
Yes, I think you should be able to plug a splitter into a splitter.

I hadn't considered that you might have trouble selecting ASIO4ALL. If you were using a DAW, you'd select it within the DAW. What program did you say you're using to record-- what's the name of the app?
Windows 10 built in camera app. I just set the linelink as default sound for recording in windows.

Reaction score

I got the cable and setup the 2-level split as you suggested. It worked out well. Thanks a lot! !

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The other night I realized I should have been clearer about the order.

You want to plug the single TRS to dual TRS splitter into the keyboard's headphones jack, so you get two stereo outputs, one of which you'll plug your headphones into.

Then you want to plug the single TRS to dual TS splitter into the second stereo output, to split it into separate Left/Right outputs that you'll connect your LineLink to.

Hopefully you already understood that, since it seems pretty obvious-- but I thought it would be good to mention it for the benefit of any newbies who might come across this thread. :)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working! :cool:

Reaction score
The other night I realized I should have been clearer about the order.

You want to plug the single TRS to dual TRS splitter into the keyboard's headphones jack, so you get two stereo outputs, one of which you'll plug your headphones into.

Then you want to plug the single TRS to dual TS splitter into the second stereo output, to split it into separate Left/Right outputs that you'll connect your LineLink to.

Hopefully you already understood that, since it seems pretty obvious-- but I thought it would be good to mention it for the benefit of any newbies who might come across this thread. :)

In any case, I'm glad you got it working! :cool:
Oh I noticed today that one of the left/right side was louder than the other, after recording with this two-layer split method. I'm wondering if it's normal or has something to do with the quality my cable?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand, you've got
- a TRS-to-dual-TRS splitter plugged into the keyboard to duplicate the stereo output;
- headphones plugged into one TRS jack;
- a TRS-to-dual-TS splitter plugged into the other TRS jack to separate the stereo into L and R channels;
- the LineLink plugged into the L and R jacks.
Is that correct?

I would think that if there's any reduction in sound by the time you get to the LineLink, it should apply to both the L and R channels equally.

Of course, if the voice you're playing with is panned more toward the left or right, then that side will be louder.

Most voices are panned to the center, but in some cases where you've selected a preset voice that layers the Main and Dual voices together there might be a difference in the way those two voices are panned, with one panned a little more to the left and the other panned a little more to the right so they stand out a bit more from each other.

Or, if you're playing with a voice that was sampled in stereo-- such as the Acoustic Grand Piano-- the voice may be louder in the left or right speakers depending on the notes, with the low notes being more to the left and the high notes being more to the right.

Reaction score
Just to make sure I understand, you've got
- a TRS-to-dual-TRS splitter plugged into the keyboard to duplicate the stereo output;
- headphones plugged into one TRS jack;
- a TRS-to-dual-TS splitter plugged into the other TRS jack to separate the stereo into L and R channels;
- the LineLink plugged into the L and R jacks.
Is that correct?

I would think that if there's any reduction in sound by the time you get to the LineLink, it should apply to both the L and R channels equally.

Of course, if the voice you're playing with is panned more toward the left or right, then that side will be louder.

Most voices are panned to the center, but in some cases where you've selected a preset voice that layers the Main and Dual voices together there might be a difference in the way those two voices are panned, with one panned a little more to the left and the other panned a little more to the right so they stand out a bit more from each other.

Or, if you're playing with a voice that was sampled in stereo-- such as the Acoustic Grand Piano-- the voice may be louder in the left or right speakers depending on the notes, with the low notes being more to the left and the high notes being more to the right.
Yes, that's the configuration. For a while I suspect I got the wrong cable for the first split. But I remembered you emphasizeD on TRS-dual TRS, so I checked the box to make sure it's right. It is correct according to the box, but the cable looks exactly the same with the other TRS-monoLR cable. So I'm hoping I got the right cable:)

I'll also check the voice setting. Thank you very much for detailed explanation.

Ask a Question