Latency with MIDI and Android tablets

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a new tablet which I hope to connect a keyboard to and use various MIDI apps. I've seen problems with latency on some tablets I've tried: there is a noticeable delay between pressing a key on the keyboard and getting a sound (I want to use the tablet for the sound rather than relying on the keyboard itself).

Are any tablets really good about regarding latency? I prefer stick with an Android tablet rather than going iOS, since I'm pretty entrenched in that ecosystem. And I'm on a bit of a budget.

Reaction score
IOS

OK it is Apple but you want a system that works then here it is.

No issues with either my full size iPad or the Mini, the full size is 4 years old and the Mini is 6 both on IOS 12 and both OK.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles. That's what I have heard, I still wonder if any Android tablets are better than others.

For one thing, I am building a web app that uses MIDIAccess (i.e. the web page can respond to pressing keys on the keyboard) and that only works on Chrome. Safari nor Chrome on iOS support it (Chrome on iOS isn't really the Chrome engine).

Reaction score
Nothing else significant is running. The web app I'm using is graphically intensive and runs smootly, but I can turn all that off and the latency is still there. Both on tablet and phone.

Reaction score

Ask a Question