Latest iPad or Laptop for Keyscape or Ravenscroft Etc...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in need of a new iPad or Laptop. Just a quick question, I use my iPad for my sheet music, and to streamline my rig I was wondering if a new iPad Pro would be powerful enough to host Keyscape, Ravenscroft, or any similar program? it would sure be nice to be able to use an iPad rather than having to set up a laptop and a table to the side etc...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
There is an iPad version of the Ravenscroft but it is not as detailed as the PC/Mac? version. There are plenty of iOS apps that will probably meet your needs but just be aware they will not be the same as PC versions most of the time. I do love the simplicity of iOS - with my Yamaha P-121 and an iPhone/iPad plus my two favorite apps (bs-16i soundfont player and Sweet Midi apps) I can play lots of instruments and midi file accompaniments with just a single usb cord.

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to buy a laptop but it looks like I will.
It may not have all the features of the PC/Mac version, but I would not assume that the iPad version of Ravenscroft wouldn't be good enough. Lots of people seem to be using it happily.

Reaction score
Haven't visited this thread for a while but still deciding what the best route is. In order to meet all my musical needs which would be using Keyscape and various Synth software.

I see that the latest iPad pro with the M1 chip can support up to 16GB of ram I think this is only the case if you buy the 1TB of memory?
That would set me back about $1500. If the latest iPad with those specs still wouldn't be a viable solution for me then I would have to go down the second route which would be buying a cheaper iPad as the only other requirement for me would be a big enough iPad for digital sheet music, taking photos so good camera, and everyday normal usage. I would then buy an Apple Mac for the rest.

Thought anyone?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well, it seems that Keyscape requires a solid-state hard drive so I think I have answered my own question with 5 minutes of research lol.

Reaction score
still deciding what the best route is. In order to meet all my musical needs which would be using Keyscape and various Synth software.

I see that the latest iPad pro with the M1 chip can support up to 16GB of ram I think this is only the case if you buy the 1TB of memory? ... If the latest iPad with those specs still wouldn't be a viable solution
It's not a matter of specs, the iPad and Mac environments and their capabilities are different. Keyscape will not run on an iPad. But even if the specs for a given app were minimal, Mac apps still can't run on an iPad unless the developer makes an iOS version. Putting 16 GB of RAM and 1TB of storage into an iPad won't change that. Some of it is programming differences, some of it is in the underlying capabilities of the hardware/OS. For example, even on a 16 GB iPad, I've read that no single app can address more than 5 GB of it; and iOS' ability to use storage space as virtual memory is far more limited than what MacOS can do.

Reaction score
It's not a matter of specs, the iPad and Mac environments and their capabilities are different. Keyscape will not run on an iPad. But even if the specs for a given app were minimal, Mac apps still can't run on an iPad unless the developer makes an iOS version. Putting 16 GB of RAM and 1TB of storage into an iPad won't change that. Some of it is programming differences, some of it is in the underlying capabilities of the hardware/OS. For example, even on a 16 GB iPad, I've read that no single app can address more than 5 GB of it; and iOS' ability to use storage space as virtual memory is far more limited than what MacOS can do.
Thanks for that, yes I did read similar in that even with 16 GB of RAM the iPad can only utilize about 5 GB's of it. I suppose I didn't want to unnecessarily spend whatever extra for a Mac if I didn't need to.

Reaction score
Thanks for that, yes I did read similar in that even with 16 GB of RAM the iPad can only utilize about 5 GB's of it. I suppose I didn't want to unnecessarily spend whatever extra for a Mac if I didn't need to.
It's not that iPads can only use 5 GB of the 16 GB, it can use all 16... rather it's than a single app can only use 5. You can run multiple apps. But regardless, if you want to run Keyscape, the only options are Mac or Windows. (And again, the issue isn't one of whether a given iPad has sufficient memory/storage specs, it's that there's no iOS version.)

Reaction score
It's not that iPads can only use 5 GB of the 16 GB, it can use all 16... rather it's than a single app can only use 5. You can run multiple apps. But regardless, if you want to run Keyscape, the only options are Mac or Windows. (And again, the issue isn't one of whether a given iPad has sufficient memory/storage specs, it's that there's no iOS version.)
Appreciate it, thank you!

Ask a Question