Layering on the P255

Reaction score
I use to have a P120 which I had for over 15 years and has served me well. I recently purchased a P255 and will be using it at my next performance in a couple of days. I am trying to match the functionality of the two for the songs i sing and two things I don't see. The first is a minor one. I am looking for a Honky-tonk sound (only used for one or two songs so no big deal). The other is being able to layer a piano sound then go up an octave and use the same piano sound. I use this more often. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as I can see from the manual, you're right on both counts-- there is no Honky-tonk piano voice; and the Dual function doesn't let you use two voices from the same category, so you can't layer the same voice on top of itself in a different octave. I'm kind of surprised at both, because I would have expected the P-255 to be superior to the P-120.

One possible workaround would be to run a MIDI cable from the P-255's MIDI Out to a MIDI processing box that can change the channel number on the events and transpose the Note events up or down an octave, then run the MIDI back to the P-255's MIDI In. Then the notes you play on channel 1 could be sent back on channel 2, using the same voice but shifted an octave, giving you the result you're wanting.

Reaction score
SeaGtGruff. Thank you so much for the response and the advice. It is a shame that the P255 does not have these functions but other then those two things it is a big step up from the P120. The overall feel and action of the keys is so much better.

For playing live I create loops on the fly with the TC-Helicon Voice Live processor and it would be tough to add another step in the start of a song but I will keep that in mind when recording.

Ask a Question