layering tones

Reaction score
I,ve had the casio 6200 for about a year now , and I am still discovering new things about it,when layering tones,the sound you get depends on which tone is layered on top, perhaps what i am stating is obvious to lots of you on here, if so I apologise, but to me if, for example, I layer a piano tone on top of a trumpet sound, it sounds distinctly different from layering a trumpet sound on top of a piano sound, the top tone appears to dominate, yet more permutations to play around with.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have a Casio CTK-6200, so I'm not sure how it works, but on the Yamaha PSR-E443 selecting a tone doesn't just set the Main Voice (or what Casio calls the Upper 1 tone), it also sets the Dual Voice (Upper 2 tone), including the various parameters of the Main Voice and Dual Voice-- Volume, Octave, Reverb, Chorus, etc.-- even for those tones that have the Dual option turned off by default. If you turn on the Dual option and select some other Dual Voice than the default, the Volume and other settings for the Dual Voice don't change.

If the Casio CTK-6200 works in a similar manner-- and I assume it does-- then the differences you're hearing should be primarily due to the relative volumes of the two tones (the Upper 1 tone is presumably always louder than the Upper 2 tone by default), but possibly due as well to other default parameter settings such as Reverb.

However, you should be able to change the Volume settings for the Upper 1 and Upper 2 tones, along with various other parameters-- see the "Using the Tone Editor" section of the User's Guide for your keyboard, on pages E-44 through E-48. Once you start playing with this feature, I guarantee you'll lose sleep because you'll be staying up all night exploring the different ways you can alter the built-in tones to create your own sounds! :)

Ask a Question