Learning to play piano.

Reaction score
In the three years I have been playing keys (and by playing I mean in the loosest sense) it has mainly been arranger style ie chords in left and melody in right.

Hence I have not played piano as such since my Mother taught me a long long time ago and as I have just bought a digital piano what I did not notice until I had ben playing it for a week that once registered with that company who shalt not be named for fear of upsetting Happyrat, that included with the DP is a freebie three months Premium subscription to a Piano learning app called Flowkey.

Now as I am a Brit of Lancastrian descent but with a sizeable chunk of Yorkshire blood in me (who are reputed to have the second tightest wallets in the whole of the UK, after the Scots) the thought of saving a few pounds by making use of the freebie App is too good to pass.

My sight reading is passable (just) overall but pretty poor with my left hand so I have spent the last couple of days going back to basics and working through the exercises in the Introduction section. Ode to Joy, Swan Lake overture these kind of scores. First learning the RH then the LH but not yet putting them both together.

So after a couple of days I am quite impressed with the App, it goes through the score first, then you have to learn it in sections and you cannot pass on to the next section until the notes played and the timing of said notes is correct. Then you play the whole piece and again you do not complete the course unless timing and nites played are correct.

B6477F65-4816-47C8-A5C4-AFB506A21FFE.png

7111AB94-FCDB-4BA6-AE6A-2EA0EEBAD08B.png

5C96766F-FD50-4927-AD2B-2C4980BA427B.png

5534064A-986F-4B6C-B18C-E109D031E132.png

97CB7AC3-EFC0-47E5-A35E-69AFB7E634FC.png

The App content in the first section does progress quite rapidly and hence supplementary learning material may well be necessary, a possible downside is that I have not yet found if the scores in the exercises are available to view and use for practice outside of completing the actual course content. Hence one of the Apps where scores are available to be displayed on the Tablet would be a good supplement.

It is to early to say if it is worth paying a long term subscription so I will reserve judgment on the App until I have worked my way through more of the courses.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Having a good grip on playing keyboard. Quite comfortable and efficiently capable, I have reservations. One of which is the fact that I did not learn bass. I did try it for awhile but I got lazy and gave up.

Just like Col, been playing chords with ACMP. It is most satisfying and I am very pleased with my self made achievement being self taught.

I still often think about learning Bass. I tend to start the idea and fall back into the aforementioned routine.

I need a course to guide me properly. I think trying to do it myself is my downfall and complacency sets in everytime.

I wonder would Flowkeys be the answer? Very interested in your short term impression of this course Col. Will I make the effort to learn again? Will I stick with it?

Ray.

Ask a Question