Length for USB cable MX61

Reaction score
I recently purchased MX61 running it through its paces. I am about to install the cubase and other included software. Given the logistics of my home/computer setup would prefer to be able to connect using a 20 ft cable. the manual states no longer than 3 meters or about 10 ft. In the past I have used 16 ft cable from my Kurzweil to a PC with no issues using the sound editor software for that machine.

Has anyone had success with a 20 ft cable on MX-61? If not doable is the issue latency or another electronics issue of the keyboard (do not want to damage it).

Thanks!

Reaction score
doing more research have found that the 16 ft cable I have may be the limit (See post below from more knowlegable person that me) - but Amazon appears to sell USB 2.0 cables at 25 ft listed for midi/audio that a reviewer said used for Roland keyboard..

"The longer the cable the better quality it needs to be, but the limit is 5 meters (16 ft) because USB needs synchronization at both ends. The delay can't be greater than 26 nanoseconds or the controllers at both ends can't sync with each other. If the cable is longer than 16ft the delays become unacceptable and data transfer becomes error laden or impossible."

Still not clear if 25 ft would work..

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I guess you could try it (at home, not during a gig) and see what happens. The worst case scenario would be that you have to buy a shorter cable after all and you end up with a very long cable in your cable collection.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Yes there is a limitation, defined in the specification I believe, of 5 metres (or 16ft 5 inches).
The reason for this is that as the distance increases, so the supposedly digital waveform over the cable looks increasingly like a sine wave. It gradually becomes more indecipherable to the receiving equipment at the other end.
More and more errors occur until finally it effectively doesn't work.
Much higher quality cable may (N.B. MAY) improve matters.
There's quite a bit about it all, if you have some patience, at the wikipedia site on "USB".

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm surprised anyone would manufacture USB cables which are longer than the maximum length.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One of these may be your answer.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Extension-Active-Repeater-Booster/dp/B00A30FOD0/

Available in up to 30 foot lengths with an active repeater driver to boost the signal.

User reviews are favorable with most people using them for remote terminal and video applications so timing should be sufficient for simple MIDI application.

If still in doubt ask a question on the product page whether anyone has used it successfully with MIDI or not and you should have an answer within 48 hours.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question