Let us all bow down and worship...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Can't sleep tonight?

Here's what REAL keyboard players are doing ;)

I would crawl 30 miles thru broken glass to kneel in Kerry Minnear's garbage... :O

Anyway, enjoy the show :)

Gary

Reaction score
He has certainly got some awesome skills! Not to mention some good moves ;)

Useless fact of the day; he's from my neck of the woods - Dorset in the UK.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's another favorite prog rock band of mine from the 70's, still rocking out in the new millenium.

From Italy...

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Pleased ta meecha Zoya. ;)

Welcome aboard Keyboardforums.

What do ya play and what styles of music do ya enjoy?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
More virtuoso playing... The Liquid Tension Experiment...

And Dream Theater doing a note by note cover of Dark Side of the Moon. I think even Pink Floyd would have a hard time performing this one live.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Liquid Tension Experiment is an amazing lineup of talent as well. Tony Levin on Bass and Chapman Stick as well as John Petrucci on Guitar and Rudess on Keys and Mike Portnoy on Percussion.

A 21st century version of Cream or Blind Faith :)

Gary

Reaction score
Yeah I'm a big LTE fan as well. Winery Dogs too although that's getting away from your prog theme. Fun fact: Tony Levin played bass on Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Another fun fact for us keyboard fans: Jordan's keyboard (I think he was using a Fantom G8) broke down during one of LTE's shows, forcing the band to swap instruments and improvise for the remainder of the gig. Rudess ended up on Petrucci's guitar!

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Much as I love hearing Rudess on keyboards I find it interesting to note that he generally plays whatever keyboard brand he happens to be whoring at the moment as official spokesthing for, be it Kurzweil, Roland or I believe it's Korg at the moment :D :D :D

I think he was playing an Oasys in the Dark Side Video and I have seen him many many moons ago pushing the Kurzweil K2600's ;)

All the same, the boy's gotta eat. Those scalp razors cost money :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah you're right he's the spokesperson for the Kronos these days, after upgrading from the Oasys you correctly identified in the Dark Side video.

But good luck to him - he's a great player and if a keyboard manufacturer wants to pay him to play and flog their gear, take it and run I say! :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It just goes to show ya, it's not always about the gear. It's the guy pounding the keys that makes it work.

Then again did ya check out the size of that modular rack he was playing in Dark Side? I doubt he could even reach the top patch cords without a step stool :D :D :D

I'm sorta wondering if he wasn't just showing off a bit? Surely a modern or even a vintage modest MOOG rack or something similar could have reproduced that intro. Hell worst case scenario, sample it and put a beatboxer spin on it. :D :D :D

Gary

Reaction score
Yeah isn't that thing amazing? Of course he was showing off LOL.

The truth is "On the Run" was done by Floyd with a much more modest synth and a sequencer. When we do it live, I do it with my Krome (which has an in-built sequencer) - so I can guarantee you Jordan could have produced the same result with his Kronos if he wanted to.

But then again, Rudess can actually play "On the Run" freehand. He is a monster player...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to keep things together in this thread I mentioned John Tout of Renaissance in the Favorite Keyboardist Thread.

Without further ado here's a live performance by the band itself.

Tout really starts to cook about 38 minutes into the performance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cowboy, I think I remember David Gilmour talking about "On the Run". If memory serves me, they used a Synthi A. A few years back I saw one on ebay that did not work and it was going upwards of 4 grand.

Reaction score
Hey BSRB,

You sir, are correct. They used an EMS VCS3 Synthi A KS. This was an updated model of the Synthi A, the "KS" (I believe) stood for "Keyboard Sequencer", as this version included, you guessed it, a keyboard and a sequencer! Here is a cool clip that shows exactly how "On The Run" was done, courtesy none other than Messrs Gilmour and Waters. Great video but for the info on "On The Run" watch from about 13:30.

This may have been the original interview you saw perhaps?

It's amazing how the old analogue gear is worth so much these days. A bit like '70s muscle cars, they've gone up exponentially in value but are rather challenging to maintain and somewhat unreliable. ;)

Cheers!

Ask a Question