LH chords vs bass clef playing

Reaction score
Have been playing LH chords with melody for a couple of years.Just wondering on thoughts of playing music with bass clef and treble clef notes.Is it seen as beneficial to move to the reading /playing both bass/treble notes or just who cares ...

My question is do most players end up moving away from the chord/melody mode to the full treble/bass playing
mick

PSR-E223

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination but I'm in the process of teaching myself to sight read and I'd have to say you simply have to be able to play anything that's put in front of you to master the keyboard. Do you touch type on your computer using only one hand?

While it may be ok for some tunes to blague away at chords on the left and lead on the right, others have complicated, syncopated basslines and scorching leads simultaneously.

What I'm saying is that it all boils down to whatever expectations you have for yourself and what kind of music do you want to play. Do you aspire to become a concert soloist or do you just wanna play 3 chord R&B Friday nights at the local Pub N Grub? :) Either way it's all up to you and what you want to get out of your keyboard experience.

Most of all, ENJOY YOURSELF :D :D :D

Gary

PS. >>> Arpeggiators and pattern sequencers have made a lot of mediocre keyboardists sound like Keith Emerson these days :D :D :D

Wes

Reaction score
The real question is - what kind of music are you playing? Different styles of music call for different styles of playing!

Reaction score
Gday wes
60'S 70'S hits of my youth,some irish folk and that would be about it.Mostly keys of C,F & G I suppose.Have stopped transposing some music to these keys and have found the real richness of some of the songs.Learning chords on D or E flat have made it possible to play some songs as they where written.My problem is what style and voices suit the best.Guess thats a personal thing
re mick

Wes

Reaction score
Hey, Mick!

An educated guess tells me that you will be happiest in the long run working on excellent facility with your chords, getting to the point where you can play broken chords, 1st-and-5th, a bit of stride, and so on. Many keyboard players never move on to covering things like bass guitar parts, and that's okay!

Style - do what makes you happy! Voices - I concentrate on Organ, Piano, and Rhodes piano. I do use synth leads (especially sawtooths) for late 70s/early 80s music (The Cars, etc) when playing in a band. But I think you learn the most from piano and organ.

Wes

Ask a Question