Lightweight keyboard amps

Reaction score
I had this back sprain episode, I could hardly get out of bed for 3 days. Now it's somewhat better but I'm still guarding my back. As for band practice, it's going to be a problem. My Peavy KB-2 amp is a big boxy thing & there's no way to lift it the 'proper' way. It bangs against walls, doors & ankles. Ouch!

I wonder if anyone makes a lightweight amp that is good for keyboards. Of course I found some guitar amps 'cause guitar is King.

I was thinking of learning about amps & trying to build my own. Ideally I'd like to have one speaker cab that could be adaptable for guitar, bass or keys depending on which effects processor went with it. Because I'm sick of having to have an amp for each instrument. Oh and this speaker would be a lightweight one. If such a thing exists. And maybe if you ever got a gig where you needed extra volume/power, you could just add another speaker & daisy-chain them together.

Anybody know of a setup like this? Why are amps so heavy & what can be done about it?

Reaction score
Hey laura, glad to see you are still being innovative...really, there's no such thing as a light weight amp that can put out a big sound, my guitar amp weighs 45 lbs (not light to me) my KC550 weighs around 48 lbs. I think you only get out what you put in regarding materials ie speaker(s), box material, power amp, preamp....sometimes I go to band practice and just plug into the PA system. I hope your back gets feeling better! R.O.T.

btw, if your still into organ I've got some "Greatest Hammond Organ" solos on my-space, really cool stuff. Scroll down, way down haha

Reaction score
really, there's no such thing as a light weight amp that can put out a big sound

btw, if your still into organ I've got some "Greatest Hammond Organ" solos on my-space, really cool stuff. Scroll down, way down haha

Thanks, I;ll check it out! I got a great book 'Hal leonard The Doors keyboard play along'. After seeing a Doors cover band I realized that the Doors are the greatest of all Keybd bands 'cause their keys player plays 2 instruments, Keys & Bass. If I can play a Doors song, I am a Real keys player.

As to the Amps thing... if a single amp can't be lightweight, then maybe the components can be in separate boxes? so at least each box is smaller & can be carried against the body rather than having to lug all of it in one huge ungainly box.

Reaction score
Yes...they have been making "piggy back" type amps for ever, speaker box, and amp that sits on top (mostly guitar rigs)...but a bass guitar rig may be in order, like an ol' Fender bassman setup with 15", and you could add a horn for the higher freq's

Reaction score
Yes...they have been making "piggy back" type amps for ever, speaker box, and amp that sits on top (mostly guitar rigs)...but a bass guitar rig may be in order, like an ol' Fender bassman setup with 15", and you could add a horn for the higher freq's

Would that be a "supertweeter" with freq. of
3.5kHz - 20kHz ?

I saw it on
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm .

What high frequencies do you need for keyboards?

Reaction score
One Amp to Rule Them All.

Yeah & this one actually says it can be used for keyboards. It would be great to have ONE amp to Rule them All. Whether I wanted to play Bass, Guitar or Keys. Maybe just bring a different FX panel. The Holy Grail of Amps.:D

15" BLACK WIDOW MUSICAL INSTRUMENT SPEAKER

• THIS PEAVEY 1502BW BLACK WIDOW 15" SPEAKER IS USED PRIMARILY AS A BASS GUITAR SPEAKER
  • 700 WATTS PROGRAM POWER HANDLING & A LARGE 4" VOICE COIL
  • VERSATILE TO BE USED FOR LEAD GUITAR, KEYBOARD AND SOUND REINFORCEMENT
  • KEVLAR CONE FOR STRENGTH TO HANDLE POUNDING BASS LINES

Reaction score
I had this back sprain episode, I could hardly get out of bed for 3 days. Now it's somewhat better but I'm still guarding my back. As for band practice, it's going to be a problem. My Peavy KB-2 amp is a big boxy thing & there's no way to lift it the 'proper' way. It bangs against walls, doors & ankles. Ouch!

I wonder if anyone makes a lightweight amp that is good for keyboards. Of course I found some guitar amps 'cause guitar is King.

For band practice and onstage, you should be putting your keyboards thru the PA & also bringing a small amp to monitor yourself onstage (actually, for rehearsal, you should be able to get the band to keep volume low enough so you can skip the stage amp & just put keys thru PA). The stage amp\monitor would only be so you and your bandmates can hear you, it would not have to pump out volume so that it can be heard all the way out in the audience.

Use a small mixer to split the output signal of your keyboards (if you have more than one) to your kybd. amp and also to the main band PA. Or some amps have an XLR out on the back of them to run a line to the PA, eliminating need for mixer. Even still, sometimes it's more convenient to have the mixer by you so you have more control over your own sound. - you might want to EQ one kybd. differently than the other(s).

Barbetta makes small but very powerful kybd. amps -
http://www.barbetta.com/html/Live/Sona_31/sona_31.html

...get one of the Sona 31c's & you should be set. Heck, get two of them and run in stereo! :D

Also, powered monitors are popular - I have a pair of JBL EON15 G2's, they're great, I use 'em mostly for PA purposes now (for mains or sometimes monitors) but I used to bring to one to gigs to use as a stage amp/kybd. monitor. Then I bought a stereo Motion Sound KP200S -
http://www.motion-sound.com/product?name=kp-200s

...which was great-sounding and in stereo but then I started playing in a wedding band that uses a headphone distrubution system -
http://www.heartechnologies.com/hb/hearbackintro.htm

...so I don't need to bring an amp at all (I still use the KP200S for gigs w/other bands, though...).

Anyway, I think the bottom line is there is NO holy grail of amps - some sound better for guitars, some for keys, some for bass, etc... if you need really need one speaker for muliple uses, consider a powered PA spkr. a la JBL EONs or the newere PRX series... it'll sound great for keys and vocals but you'll need use a POD amp simulator for the [electric] guitar stuff. Acoustic guitars should sound fine though. :cool:

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a dumb question, what is the difference between an "amp" (for keyboards, where there is no 'modeling') and a "monitor"?

These amps look great but they do weigh around 35-55 lbs. My current amp, a Peavey KB-2, weighs around 20 lbs. My current weight is 110 lbs. I can pick it up, but because it is big & boxy & my back is shot, I shouldn't carry/lift it in & out of houses, car trunks etc.

Now if I could take it apart & put it in a different shaped box (shaped like a keybd case maybe) perhaps it would be carryable.

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a dumb question, what is the difference between an "amp" (for keyboards, where there is no 'modeling') and a "monitor"?

These amps look great but they do weigh around 35-55 lbs. My current amp, a Peavey KB-2, weighs around 20 lbs. My current weight is 110 lbs. I can pick it up, but because it is big & boxy & my back is shot, I shouldn't carry/lift it in & out of houses, car trunks etc.

Now if I could take it apart & put it in a different shaped box (shaped like a keybd case maybe) perhaps it would be carryable.

Amp is just what it is: "amplifier" that is amplifying sound - in this case, keyboards. "Monitor" refers to the amp's usage - stage or studio, in our discussion it's "stage" ...ie, you'd be "monitoring" your own keyboard sounds even though they'd also be cranking out of the main PA to the audience... it's the same as if it were vocal monitors - I'm sure you use vocal monitors on stage w/the band, often they're floor wedges facing back at you.

As far as the weight, I can't help you there, Laura - ha ha...! :eek: ;) That's why I suggested the Barbetta's - only 32 lbs. I think? ...yet way more powerful than your KB2.

Reaction score
Thanks, I;ll check it out! I got a great book 'Hal leonard The Doors keyboard play along'. After seeing a Doors cover band I realized that the Doors are the greatest of all Keybd bands 'cause their keys player plays 2 instruments, Keys & Bass. If I can play a Doors song, I am a Real keys player.

As to the Amps thing... if a single amp can't be lightweight, then maybe the components can be in separate boxes? so at least each box is smaller & can be carried against the body rather than having to lug all of it in one huge ungainly box.

I was thinking of buying that book.
Is it good? Or is it great?

Reaction score
I was thinking of buying that book.
Is it good? Or is it great?

I think it's pretty great 'cause I got it with a gift card from Guitar Center:) . And I really wanted sheet music for my fave song of all time, "Light My Fire'.

This book has the sheet music for 8 songs, plus a play along CD with the keyboard parts & play along tracks with just the rest of the band. It can be slowed down, I think.

I don't know if a teacher would say it was the best thing for a newby keys player to try & learn songs like this. Some teachers think you should start out with easy stuff like 'Mary had a little lamb."

I say a newby has to start out with real music that she likes, 'cause otherwise she would just get bored. Also if there is limited time, you have to do what you like NOW instead of saying 'I'll wait till I'm good."

Reaction score
I think it's pretty great 'cause I got it with a gift card from Guitar Center:) . And I really wanted sheet music for my fave song of all time, "Light My Fire'.

This book has the sheet music for 8 songs, plus a play along CD with the keyboard parts & play along tracks with just the rest of the band. It can be slowed down, I think.

I don't know if a teacher would say it was the best thing for a newby keys player to try & learn songs like this. Some teachers think you should start out with easy stuff like 'Mary had a little lamb."

I say a newby has to start out with real music that she likes, 'cause otherwise she would just get bored. Also if there is limited time, you have to do what you like NOW instead of saying 'I'll wait till I'm good."

Seems like a great book. I'll buy it in my next stop at the music store (guitar center).
I was looking for Ligth my Fire sheet music too:D
Well, I'm not a newbie. I have 2 years playing piano. So I guess I can handle this.
Anyway, with which song should I start?:confused:

Reaction score
Seems like a great book. I'll buy it in my next stop at the music store (guitar center).
I was looking for Ligth my Fire sheet music too:D
Well, I'm not a newbie. I have 2 years playing piano. So I guess I can handle this.
Anyway, with which song should I start?:confused:

I'm the newby!!;) I'm learning to play PLUS read music.

I didn't try any of the other songs yet so I dunno which to start with.

Reaction score
I'm the newby!!;) I'm learning to play PLUS read music.

I didn't try any of the other songs yet so I dunno which to start with.

It's ok to start playing music you like. You should buy a music theory book.
Anyway, I guess WE should start with Riders on the Storm.

Reaction score
Laura, it is hard to get a good sounding amp suitable for gigging that is lightweight.
I still use a heavy amp for the quality of sound and power but
I try to avoid lifting as much as possible. Now I always use a small collapsible hand truck to move my amp and my keyboard cases.
The other solution is to run the keys directly into the PA system and then use a wireless in-ear monitor for your keys. I've done that in the past and liked it.

Reaction score
Laura, it is hard to get a good sounding amp suitable for gigging that is lightweight.
I still use a heavy amp for the quality of sound and power but
I try to avoid lifting as much as possible. Now I always use a small collapsible hand truck to move my amp and my keyboard cases.
The other solution is to run the keys directly into the PA system and then use a wireless in-ear monitor for your keys. I've done that in the past and liked it.

so... what "heavy amp" do you use?

btw, I use the Rock+Roller Cart to move gear, it's awesome - the biggest one, the R12, with the big fat pnuematic tires - best $229 bucks I ever spent! :D
http://www.rocknrollercart.com/products.htm

Reaction score
The carts with the pnumatic tires work good and are definately nice to have. I don't gig that often anymore but I have kept an older Peavy amp (cabinet loaded with JBL)
to use on the occasional gigs I do. I'd guess that cabinet probably weighs around 50 to 60 pounds, which is not that "heavy" in comparision to lots of other gear. But it has enough power to play most places and it doesn't distort.

Reaction score
My amp cabinet is probably about three feet tall. I slip it on the hand truck
and up to the back door of my car. I then tip the top of the amp over to the seat and push upward from the bottom of the cabinet so it will slide onto the back seat.
I load and unload using this technique and that helps me avoid actually lifting the cabinet. Going upstairs is a very slow process though lol

Ask a Question