Lightweight keyboard

Reaction score
Hi can anyone advise me on the best portable keyboard;, 88 key, battery operated or similar with percussion/drums, dual with strings ?
Many thanks and merry Christmas
Diana

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How much you want to spend?

Do you have any weight limits?

Take a look at the Casio Privia Line and the Roland Juno DS8.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It really depends if he wants speakers or not.
There is only the Casio that has internal amp and speakers and runs on batteries.

88 keys and battery powered, and lightweight are very limited in what is available.

88 key requirement also has the Korg EX20 and Yamaha DGS 670 but neither runs on batteries.

Something new is on its way from Casio in January but the taster does not give the game away as to what keyboard family it will go into if at all.

Onboard speakers are imo not essential, a small battery powered amp will surfice depending upon what the portability requirement is, a 3W Boss Katana Mini up to a 50W Roland Street Ex will fit the bill.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, I have some further research to do but this gives a good overall picture. I’ve been looking at the arturia keylab essential, although it doesn’t run on batteries. The Roland looks promising though but the idea is to have as little electrical leads as possible and I presume an amp needs that. Your comments are much appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, I have some further research to do but this gives a good overall picture. I’ve been looking at the arturia keylab essential, although it doesn’t run on batteries. The Roland looks promising though but the idea is to have as little electrical leads as possible and I presume an amp needs that. Your comments are much appreciated.
The Arturia Keylab Essential is a MIDI controller and does not have onboard sounds.

To use a MIDI keyboard you need it connected to a Computer or iPad.

Mute point anyway as we would dissuade you from buying this deeply floored piece of kit. Both Gary and I have had one of these, neither lasted to long before they were sold on.

The amps I quoted in my last post both run on batteries, their are others by Blackstar that also run on batteries.

For an all in one keyboard that runs on batteries, has plenty of onboard sounds, onboard amp and speakers and is lightweight there is only one, the Casio PX S3100, there is a cut down version in the S1100 that has limited sounds and no accompanyment features.

It is your battery powered requirement that severely limits available keyboards.

Reaction score
As Biggles mentioned, the Arturia has no sounds in it, but I'm also curious what you found so appealing about it that you were considering it even though it didn't meet one of your most important considerations, i.e. battery power. Knowing what drew you to this one could tell us something about what other things you'd ideally like the board to have, in addition to the things that you mentioned in your OP.

The amps I quoted in my last post both run on batteries, their are others by Blackstar that also run on batteries.
There are also some higher end options, like Bose S1 Pro, JBL Eon One Compact, Yorkville EXM-Mobile-8. Roland BA-330. (Though also OTOH, the OP hasn't mentioned speakers. Maybe its not for any kind of public performance use, and she's fine even just using headphones.)

For an all in one keyboard that runs on batteries, has plenty of onboard sounds, onboard amp and speakers and is lightweight there is only one, the Casio PX S3100, there is a cut down version in the S1100 that has limited sounds and no accompaniment features.
There is also the Casio CDP-S350 which has the full set of features you mentioned (and similarly, a cut-down version, CDP-S150). One big advantage of the CDP-S350 here is its battery life of up to 4 hours, double that of the PX-S3000. (The new version you mention, PX-S3100, is not shipping yet, AFAIK.) It also happens to have an advantage in the drum capabilities, in that you can make your own rhythms instead of only being able to choose from the ones provided. Though the generally higher end PX of course has its own advantages. A good thread about this is at https://www.casiomusicforums.com/in...aring-the-casio-cdp-s350-and-casio-px-s-3000/

BTW, besides these Casios and the aforementioned Korg Kross and Juno DS88, one more 88 that runs on batteries and has the features listed by the OP would be the Casio PX-5S.

Ask a Question