Lightweight multi-timbral workstation for gigging

Reaction score
Dilemma. I have a Roland RD-700NX which is brilliant for piano sounds, but weighs a ton and is impossible to take to casual gigs or practice. I need a lightweight (emphasis on weight) keyboard that will be good enough for gigging, has great piano sounds, multi-timbral, polyphonic, and gives me GOOD sounds (not scratchy strings and cr@p piano).

I looked at the Nord stage piano. Hmmm. Piano sounds are nowhere near good. Nord Electra? Not multi-timbral.

I play classical piano (on a real one mostly), gig in electric folk bands, jazz bands, and compose using Logic Pro. I'd love to hear what other gigging and highly discerning keyboard players have chosen that don't give them a hernia to move the keyboard....??? Budget is whatever it takes.

Reaction score
To be honest, if you want 88 weighted keys, weight will always be an issue, if it's not an issue you will have a crap keybed. Good keybeds weigh alot.

Why not grab a 76 note semi-weighted keyboard for casual stuff and practice and use the RD-700 for proper gigs?

Reaction score
If you think the piano sounds on the Nord Stage are poor, then I would say you are quite particular about your piano, and it's about the lightest 88-note keybed around.
The Yamaha CP50 might do what you want, but it's a little heavier than the Nord.

Do you need 88 fully weighted keys? If you can live with a 73-key semi-weighted board, then the Roland Jupiter 50 is light, and satisfies all your criteria.

Actually the MoX8 is only 14Kg, it would be worth checking whether the piano sounds on that are to you r liking.

Reaction score
The Roland XP80 is also quite light, and very, very well specc'd. You can pick them up a lot cheaper than a Joop.

Reaction score
You might find a music with a Casio PX3 in stock and see if that appeals to you. It is 88 weighted keys, but only about 24 pounds in weight. It is primarily piano, but does have other basic gigging sounds. There are some demos on Youtube. I bought a used one earlier this week and hope to swap out my heavy Yamaha S80 with the Casio and my Muse Receptor. Don

Ask a Question