Live Keyboard for Rock/Blues

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my old, small Casio to a full-size ~$600-$700 keyboard for playing in my band (rock, blues, some electronic, so mainly pianos, electric pianos, organs, synths). Do you guys like any particular full-size keyboards in that range?

Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yamaha MM6, Korg X50, Roland Juno Di.

Any of these should suit your needs. Remember to try before you buy.

Gary..

Reaction score
Gary has listed three 61-key models. When you say 'full-size', are you referring to the size of the keys (which all three of those would meet), or the number of keys (as in 88, like a 'real' piano)?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The pickings are slim for stage pianos in the price range he quoted so I assumed he was looking for something "pro" and cheap but not cheezy.

Otherwise, if he's looking for 88 weighted hammer action keys that can cover pianos, organs and synths decently he should pretty much up his budget by another $400 to $600.

Ironically since he's moving up from Casio if he's willing to spend $999 street price he'd be a good candidate for the Casio Privia PX-5S stage piano they just released this year. That would actually pretty much be the cheapest 88 key hammer action that could in fact meet all of his requirements.

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-5S

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-privia-px-5s-pro-stage-piano

Otherwise, if he can live with 61 unweighted keys then any of the first three I mentioned would be fine for rock, blues and electronica and keep him inside his proposed budget.

Reaction score
Mostly agree Gary; but my point is still valid (regarding the keyboard requirement). One alternative would be a good used Korg SP250 (which has six different acoustic pianos, six different electric/digital pianos, six different organs, strings, harpsichord... AND layering, reverb, chorus effects AND MIDI in/out) and an external MIDI module for anything else he might want or need. Still within the budget (assuming used is okay) with 88 weighted keys. :)

Or, for that matter, an 88-key controller keyboard and a module. Lots of options if 88 keys is desired.

:cool:

Reaction score
Indeed! If used is an option, there are many. If I hadn't gotten such a screamin' deal on my MM6, I'd have gone with a used Motif 6.

Ask a Question