Location on staff of notes on 61 key

Reaction score
I just got my first keyboard yesterday. (Refurbished Casio LK-110) :)
The only problem is that although I have found out the names of the keys I can not manage to figure out where the notes are on the staff. :(
I can read music with a treble clef, but I do not understand the theory behind it. :confused:
Any information that anyone can give will be very much appreciated. :D

Reaction score
Maybe you should take some lessons it really helps.
In treble clef: If you can find a C on the keyboard in the middle as it is called a 'central or middle C' (a white one BEFORE two black ones) and know staff has 5 lines there is a little 'help' line under these 5 that is that C.
It is a dot with a short line accross.
Every step higher on the white keys is called D - E - F - G - A - B - and again a C that is one octave higher and the dot is between line 3 and 4 from the bottom lne..
The black keys on the staff have a # (or b) in # they are called Cis - Dis - Fis - Gis - Ais.
If the music is written in 'b' they change names and are called Des - Es - Ges - As - Bes.

Reaction score
Found Pic That Solves Problem

Maybe you should take some lessons it really helps.
In treble clef: If you can find a C on the keyboard in the middle as it is called a 'central or middle C' (a white one BEFORE two black ones) and know staff has 5 lines there is a little 'help' line under these 5 that is that C.
It is a dot with a short line accross.
Every step higher on the white keys is called D - E - F - G - A - B - and again a C that is one octave higher and the dot is between line 3 and 4 from the bottom lne..
The black keys on the staff have a # (or b) in # they are called Cis - Dis - Fis - Gis - Ais.
If the music is written in 'b' they change names and are called Des - Es - Ges - As - Bes.

Although I am sure lessons would help, I have been learning guitar and tin whistle and have not ran into any problems that I have not been able to solve. So thanks, but no thanks.

I had already learned everything, except for being called "Cis - Dis - Fis - Gis - Ais" and changing to "Des - Es - Ges - As - Bes". Thanks anyway.

I finally found a pic that explains everything perfectly and I am posting it here, just in case it will help anyone else.
music1.gif

Reaction score

That's actually something that's different between languages. In Sweden we do like that too (but spelled with 2 "s" :)), but in English they call them sharp or flat, like this:

C# - C sharp
D# - D sharp
F# - F sharp
and so on....
and then also
Db - D flat
Eb - E flat
Gb - G flat
and so on....

I see that you're from the US, so this latter approach is what's more appropriate for your language ;)

Reaction score
Hi Sargas,

Thanks for this valuable and correct addition. I am Dutch (but live in Bali Indonesia). I was brought up with music as my parents were prof classical musicians and I have learned music and the names of the notes about 60 years ago the way I described. They are the 'classic' names for music notation and teached in most European Conservatoria that way. Some countries use the Do Re Mi version. But you are absolutely correct. Spelling with one ore two s's might occur in different area's.

DickR

Ask a Question