long time pianist, new to midi

Reaction score
My name is Gary, I've played classical piano for years, and just got a digital piano to play around with. I've never done anything with midi, so I'm here to decide what hardware I need to get to connect my piano to my comp.(I've seen tons of usb midi adapters, but I'm not sure which will be compatible with Ubuntu Linux, which I use).
I also want to learn which open source software packages I should learn(The only music software I've spent much time with is Transcribe.
I hope I can find some answers here.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My name is also Gary and I do use Linux with MIDI.

First of all the easy way to get Linux talking to a MIDI keyboard is to go to http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/ and follow the how to to install the repositories and software as they direct you to.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Documentation:Ubuntu:Upgrade

Next question is what ports does your digital piano have? Does it have real DIN Connector MIDI ports or USB or both?

Easiest way to hook up is via a 10 ft USB A to B Printer cable if your keyboard supports it. If the keyboard is class compliant you should be good to go and ready to start sequencing at this point since no additional drivers are required.

For sequencing under Linux I use Rosegarden (Native Linux) and Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 and Cakewalk Music Creator 5 running under wine. They both work pretty well as advertised under wine with the exception of the notation font. For scoring stuff I use Rosegarden and Lilypond.

As for the howtos on operating these softwares, look them up on Youtube and you'll find some very helpful video tutorials.

Anyway, tell us what keyboard exactly you are hooking up and ask in here if you experience any problems.

Ask a Question