Looking for a decent budget keyboard

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, Christmas is approaching, and my girlfriend has recently started to miss playing the keyboard (although she only ever uses the piano voices).

I've contacted her family, and they have her old, scuffed up Bontempi PM 68 in the attic, which I presume is an obscure, low quality brand and model. I was looking to surprise her with an addictive new toy within a budget of about $200 (preferably less), which translates to about 1400 DKK (Danish currency) for me. I've been looking at quite a few keyboards, and checking out their demos of them on YouTube.

Some of the ones I have in mind are the Ringway TB100 and CK62, Casio CTK-240 or CTK-3200, and lastly, the one I'd most like to purchase, in spite of it kind of breaking my budget, the Yamaha PSR-E353.

I'm not expecting you guys to have in-depth knowledge of this Bontempi PM 68, but was hoping to hear your thoughts on the matter, and maybe giving me a few pointers and suggestions. The keyboard doesn't need to have all sorts of fancy functions, as she doesn't ever record and only uses the piano voice (Sadly, it seems like digital pianos are relatively expensive in this case).

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on this matter, as I have absolutely no idea what to expect from these products.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that weighted, touch sensitive, full-sized keys seem to be the most popular choice, and I can imagine why. These would definitely be welcome features in any of your suggestions!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I looked up the model on Google and came up with this demo video of the Bontempi

As far as I recall, back in the 70's Bontempi was a manufacturer of home organs.

From the look of the video above I'd say the vintage of the PM68 is far more recent.

Probably mid to late 1990's.

Also from what I could gather from Google, these seem to have been mostly sold in Europe rather than the Americas or Asia.

It probably cost about $500 USD when it was new and it actually seems to have been a very decent little set of keys back in its day.

Truth be told, all the models you listed would be either very similar or else a step down for her.

They say love doesn't have a price, but let's face it. $200 USD doesn't get you whole hell of a lot of keyboard these days.

Anything you mentioned would be OK in that price range, as they all pretty much have the same features and voice qualities.

Forget about finding weighted or hammer action piano keys for that price though.

If though, as you said, she is more into piano styles and voicing than experimenting with built in rhythms and sounds then you'd more likely be starting at about the $500 and up range to find a full 88 weighted, hammer action keys.

What you might be able to do is find something that was gently used and abandoned on craigslist or ebay like an old Yamaha DGX-500 or YPG-235 or an old Casio Privia PX-130 or PX-310.

I'd say if you were looking to spend more then look at the Yamaha DGX-560 or the Casio PX-350 or PX-360.

Either way, if something catches your eye in the used market then do your research and google the age of the instrument and when you're buying from craigslist look carefully at the environment it was kept in and make certain that every single note and button and knob and connector is in good working order.

Also might not hurt to have a musician friend accompany you to give you an experienced opinion.

Personally I won't buy used from ebay because I have no way of examining the merchandise before I buy. I always buy used from craigslist, locally.

Anyway, that's really all the advice I can give you aside from pointing you at this link.

https://www.keyboardforums.com/forums/articles.92/

Really though, with an under $200 budget it's mostly overkill.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

PS. BTW I've never heard of Ringway before. I'd advise avoiding off brands unless they are extremely popular in Europe.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest the possibility of a used Yamaha DGX or YPG model, which would have at least the same, and possibly better, polyphony as the PSR-E353, and about the same preset voices, but with the addition of a pitch bend wheel and a wider keyboard-- either 76 or 88 keys, depending on the model. Just about the only other 88-key portable keyboard that could be bought new in that price range might be something like a Williams Legato, and I have no knowledge of its key action, how good it sounds, etc.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i personnally ended up buying a casio wk75600 for its versitility lots of bang for the buck 820 voices and 260 preset rythums accompanments also can create rythums and roco

So, Christmas is approaching, and my girlfriend has recently started to miss playing the keyboard (although she only ever uses the piano voices).

I've contacted her family, and they have her old, scuffed up Bontempi PM 68 in the attic, which I presume is an obscure, low quality brand and model. I was looking to surprise her with an addictive new toy within a budget of about $200 (preferably less), which translates to about 1400 DKK (Danish currency) for me. I've been looking at quite a few keyboards, and checking out their demos of them on YouTube.

Some of the ones I have in mind are the Ringway TB100 and CK62, Casio CTK-240 or CTK-3200, and lastly, the one I'd most like to purchase, in spite of it kind of breaking my budget, the Yamaha PSR-E353.

I'm not expecting you guys to have in-depth knowledge of this Bontempi PM 68, but was hoping to hear your thoughts on the matter, and maybe giving me a few pointers and suggestions. The keyboard doesn't need to have all sorts of fancy functions, as she doesn't ever record and only uses the piano voice (Sadly, it seems like digital pianos are relatively expensive in this case).

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on this matter, as I have absolutely no idea what to expect from these products.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that weighted, touch sensitive, full-sized keys seem to be the most popular choice, and I can imagine why. These would definitely be welcome features in any of your suggestions!

Reaction score
the wk 7600 is a good choice for your girlfriend ti has a lot of piano voices and elsectric piano voices and also has drawbars for organ tones likea hammond does for 405 dolloars us that is a good bet has 76 keys and sounds decent wt with on board speakers i play for small gigs and use alto powerd speakers with give it a very good and fuller sound especially for stero play

Reaction score
Roland E-50, BK3, VA-3, EM-55 would be perfect for you. They all sound near-same, and they can all exchange styles.

Ask a Question