Looking for a keyboard/synth for son

Reaction score
My son is autistic and he will be 12 in April and he likes to play on devices that make strange sounds. Yesterday we were in a music shop and they had a Roland DJ synth with full envelope control and he was in his element. But thats very expensive and needs amp, speakers etc. What we want for him is something like that but in one unit for about 50 or £60 if possible. At the moment he has an old Yamaha prs with a broken key. Thats fine but he likes to make odd sounds more than making music (that might come later)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I doubt you'll find anything other than a basic PCM ROMpler for that kind of money. In fact I'd say if you want the most bang for your buck then you'd better take a look at your local craigslist and ebay or shpock app to see what turns up for under 100 UK Pounds. Forget about buying new for that sort of money though.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's been a pretty popular item from Korg for years now.

I mean it's capable of some pretty sweet sounds but it's still a mono instrument with a toy like keyboard and the only way to get it to produce real music is by either hooking it up to other modules and controllers or else using multitrack recording to lay down each layer one at a time.

Still for a 12 year old it would probably be a hoot and it would introduce him to VCO's and VCF's and analog synthesis.

There's also some good low priced stuff coming out of teenage engineering these days as well.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question