Looking for a keyboard to use as a Indian harmonium

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a beginner and want to learn to play harmonium, I know there are keyboards that can be used as harmonium, I want a keyboard that can play the Tabla kits from a SD card or USB as a loop.

can someone help me to choose a model that combine these properties and also not too expensive?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Welcome.

Your post was reading OK until I go to the ..... not too expensive ... text.

Have you looked into actually buying a Harmonium?

A new Harmonium is showing up on Amazon UK as costing £400.

I do not know where you live but you may be able to find a used one on eBay or in a Thrift/Charity Shop.

If you have a Computer then a low cost option would be to use a software instrument and a MIDI keyboard, c$60 US for the Harmonium sample (you may find a cheaper one or even one that is free) plus c$100 US for a keyboard.

If you can advise on your budget, which Country you are in and more info on your keyboard knowledge then better responses will be easier and mire tailored

Reaction score
Dear Biggles, thanks for your response,

I live in Netherlands, zero knowledge about keyboards, I can spend about 200 euro for a new or second hand keyboard, but I prefer to spend as less money as possible, because this keyboard is only for my practice time and later when i learn to play, i will buy a real harmonium.

I want to go for a keyboard because
1. I can use a headphone while i am practicing
2. The keyboard can be used as a Tabla sampler

There are some models that I see people are using as harmonium but i am not sure if they can also be used as Tabla sampler. (Casio CTK-700, CASIO CTK 1550)

I see on youtube that there are some keyboards that people are using as an Indian harmonium(korg ek 50 IN) thus with an "IN" post-fix, In Netherlands I can not find keyboards with that post-fix, I dont know if these models without the "IN" post-fix" can be used as harmonium or not.

Reaction score
Korg produce the Indian version of their EK50 which they term an entertainer keyboard but in reality it is their entry level arranger.

Here in the UK a new EK50 will retail at about £350 the problem being availability of the IN version, Korgs Pa range have an Oriental version which covers geographically a much wider area and hence has even more Style variations.

I do not know if the Casio keyboards will provide the functionality you seek, they are also entry level keyboards.

The Yamaha PSR E series in particular the 363/373 has three different Harmonium instrument voices as standard as voices 141,142, &143. Page 60 of the English manual details them. This keyboard retails below your budget. Hence download the manual and peruse its content, additionally look at the Style list.

Also take a look at the 463 which has more Instrument Voices and Styles.

Specifically Tabla, there are Apps available for both Apple and Android devices so this could be a way to generate the drum patterns you seek, if you check on the specs of the Yamaha keyboards you will probably find that they have an Aux input hence you could feed the App audio into the keyboard.

Ask a Question