Looking for a new keyboard... but which one?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm starting to get serious about keyboarding, and I need a recommendation for a new keyboard. All I've got right now is a Yamaha PSR-195, and I was looking for something more up to date. My budget is kinda low, (keep it under $1,000 please) but I would be willing to pay more for a good quality keyboard. Help me out please.:)

Reaction score
If you could tell us a little bit more what you want from your keyboard, it would be helpful. Like, you do want weighted keys? How many keys? Do you want to have many sounds with decent quality, or few sounds with very good quality? What kind of music are you planning to play?

Answering those questions will make the search easier :)

Reaction score
What kinds of sounds and sound quality are you looking for? If only a basic weighted keyboard with a few mid-quality sounds, then maybe something like the M-Audio Prokeys 88. It only has a few different patches, (basic piano, strings, organ etc) but can be bought for around $500. If you want something that is user programable , then Prokeys probably isn't it. Maybe some looking around on the Musicians Friend web site would give you some ideas?

Reaction score
I was looking for quite a few patches. Piano, drums, brass instruments, and quite a few synthesizer ones like synth. strings, and organs. While I need some different instrument selection, since this is for playing in my band, I need high quality piano, drums, and maybe synth. strings more than the rest. I'll check on musicians friend though.

Reaction score
That's probably the one that I would suggest, actually. A lot of sounds, and 88 weighted keys, and Yamaha usually won't let you down when it comes to sound quality :)

But, as usual, it's always best to go to a store somewhere and try it out before buying. If you have a store nearby that has one, that is...

Reaction score
I second Sargas's recommendation to try one out before buying. I also recommend to audition all of the types of sounds that interest you. It has been my experience that every keyboard has it's own strengths and short comings. But, I've owned a number of pieces of Yamaha gear through the years and they were all well made and had some good quality sounds. I still have my old DX7 synth in my studio
and occasionally use the tine piano sound through a phaser on certain types of songs.

Ask a Question