Looking for a sound...

Reaction score
I'm a teacher who just bought a Roland DS88 for my "rock band" music program. One of the songs we are doing is Foreigner's Long Long Way From Home. The student who we had playing keyboards just graduated and he was a wiz at creating sounds on his personal Yamaha synth. He had the keyboard sounds for that song nailed. However, I'm very new to keyboards in general, let alone creating sounds on our new Roland. Is there anywhere I can find a patch(s) for this sound specifically? Thanks!

Reaction score
Have a read through this. It will give you a few tips on where to start if you want to program this sound:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/OT-Foreigner-sound-search-m1337928.aspx

The key elements are the fast LFO making the note repeat, and the filter cutoff being changed slowly to create that sweeping sound. This can be done with a second much slower LFO but I suspect you could also do it manually on your DS. You certainly can on my Juno-Gi which is sort of a precursor to your 'board.

But I bet if you waded through your synth patches, you'll probably find one that has the job half done for you, which means less fiddling around.

Ask a Question