Looking for a stage piano?

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the comparrison video Gary.

Very interesting comments.

the Kawai is the one Kaneda had for a while if I remember correctly..

If I was in the market for one it would have to be the Roland, with my back I would never be able to handle getting the Kawai onto a stand.

Reaction score
As far as stage pianos go, the MP11SE is unbeatable as far as keybed feel is concerned. But is sure is a heavy beast.
The RD2000 is also one of my favourites and I don't think you can go wrong with it ; it's a lot lighter, though rather larger in size.

If I had to pick a 'manageable' stage piano at this moment in time, however, I think I'd go for the CP88 (or maybe YC88).

Reaction score
Great video. The MP11SE is something I’d never purchase - just way too heavy to be practical as a true stage piano. The exception would be if it were being hauled by someone else as backline. Then I’d love to play it! Seems like an amazing machine and I know you liked yours Kaneda.

Last tour I did I use a RD 800 at several venues and found it really nice. Took me a little while to get comfortable with how I could tweak it and the AP’s were superior to the EP’s, but overall it was a cool machine and very easy to learn. Rolands have reliably easy UI’s to come to grips with. I’m sure the 2000 is equally easy to get along with.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I'm lucky enough to live about 4 km away from this store and you would crap yourself if you saw the 30 or so brand new and refurbished concert grands in the front showroom.

Whenever I walk in there I feel too dirty and unworthy to even touch one, let alone play it. I might pop by there this week and play Twinkle Twinkle on a few of them. ;) Hell, maybe all of them!

I really only drop in there once in a blue moon, because they are more concert and school band oriented than electro whiz bang beepie boopers, and as for guitars? They MIGHT have one or two acoustics squirreled away in the basement.

They also operate as an accredited music school and have a nice room full of music texts, and a whole bunch of little "soundproof" practice rooms, but last time I was there I could hear someone getting a drum lesson. :rolleyes:

Back up on the main floor though, right by the front door, they display all their portable keys which leads to a small alcove filled with Casios and Kawais and Rolands and not much else.

The MP11SE might be the creme de la creme of the Kawai electronic line, but they truly are garbage compared to the main showroom on the right :)

I did enjoy a brief chat with one of their salesmen last year when I stopped in for some reason.

Sadly they do not carry any Korg, but I didn't see them pushing Yamaha either.

I'll report back after my next visit.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There’s nothing like a real acoustic piano, upright or grand, but there’s the small matter of cost and the neighbours might not always appreciate it :p

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest, I seriously doubt they could fit anything like a baby grand into our elevator, or "lift" as they say on the other side of the pond :)

Actually, I think I'd have to pop out a window and have it hoisted to the 9th floor :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at the Kawai MP11SE as a practice instrument. I have a kawai 52” upright acoustic and a Juno ds88 for silent practice.
I’m finding a difference in the way I play between the two and thinking the Juno although weighted, may not be ideal to practice properly.
Would This be wise to get the Mp11SE?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually there are some big showrooms in New Jersey. You might want to book a short trip for a day.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Faust Harrison has a big showroom near me. But sadly no stage pianos. ☹️

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a worm in the Big Apple to me :(

Like I said, you might get lucky in Jersey...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question